Date:
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 20:29:58 -0600
Hi there.  I have a couple replies and a question...
First i'd like to know if kitten food should be fed throughout an entire
ferret's life, of if after sexual maturity a different level (cat, or food
for aging cats) can be fed.

Second, i am from Edmonton, Alberta and would like to know if there are
ever any ferret shows in this city.

third, i'd like to know what a good weight range is for females and males.

Replys: Someone wrote that they would like some advice on how to keep their
ferrets using the litter box.  I have four ferrets and have not had too much
difficulty in this department so i will try and share a couple ideas.
Because I share a home with three other people my ferrets are in a three
storey cage when i am not home.  It has taken about four months for my
ferrets to perfect their litter ritual while inside the cage.  The two upper
levels consist of a hammock, a bungalo, and two plastic platforms that are
slightly away from the edge of the cage.  basically, they have no choice but
to climb down to the main floor and use the litter box.

Another way they have learned to use it is I wake them up to play, but won't
allow them out of the cage until i have seen each of them have used the
litterbox.  I used to give treats too after they used the litterbox, and
voice praise, but don't do this (treats) too often because ferrets are
smart, and they know how to FAKE going to the bathroom just to get a treat.
Often still I have to watch and put them back in the litterbox a couple
times before they really do go to the bathroom...smart kids.

Basically, with some ferrets they use it no problem.  But you need to devote
lots of attention to this matter if they insist on not using it.  use
praise, and treats and positive influence.  If your ferrets seem to go in
the same places all the time ( other than the litter box), set up litter
boxes at those places.

Although my ferrets are angels with the litter box in their cage, they don't
always take the time to use it when they are out and about.  Although
somehow they've managed to only go on the linoleum when i'm not paying
attention.

So, perhaps other ferret owners have more to say about training the ferrets.
But as far as I know, start with small places and work your way up slowly
and making sure your ferrets know the litter box is the RIGHT place, and
your rug is the WRONG place.  GOOD LUCK!!

andrea, febe, forrest, skully, ellen (can you tell i watch too much tv!)