From:
Katherine Fritz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 2 Sep 1993 09:27:46 -0400
> Date:   Wed, 1 Sep 1993 09:44:21 -0400
> From:   Barbara Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Oh my poor ferret!
>
> I'm in shock. Well, not quite, you don't usually cry while you're in
> shock, do you? My poor ferret, Keesa, got crushed by a 60 lb weight
> yesterday. She's not dead, but we're still not past the 24 hour mark.

Oh, lord, Barbara!  I'm soooo sorry to hear about this!  Keesa was one of
the very first ferrets I "met" on this list -- way back in March '92, one
of the first issues I got, you were telling stories about her goosing
someone at an event you took her too -- I laughed out loud -- in my office
yet -- I hope she pulls through!  My thoughts are with you and your
family.  Hang in there, Keesa!!!

I'm sending you electronic hugs. <><><><><><

> Subject: Language news from Sweden
> Date:   Wed, 1 Sep 1993 14:18:32 -0400
> From:   [log in to unmask] (Urban Fredriksson)
>
> I've won a small language-use victory today.

Good for you, Urban!

> Date:   Wed, 1 Sep 1993 17:04:42 -0400
> From:   Effie Marie Hines <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Catching up

> The vet told me that this is one for the
> books because there is no record of this occurring in a ferret this young
> or of this type of cancer at all.

Marie, has your vet talked to Kawasaki in Virginia (703-690-2580) or Fox
at MIT or Ann Jeglum in West Chester (2215-696-1585) or Rosenthal at the
Animal Medical Center (212) 838-8100)?  It may be there is an experimental
protocol that could be tried for Loki.  We were devastated last year when
Bandit was diagnosed with lymphosarcoma, but the Animal Medical Center and
Ann Jeglum brought him through, and he is still with us 18 months later,
fat and sassy, despite the 3-8 month prognosis we were given at the time.
Hang in there!

> I did have to pick up my trash can about four times before Nonni got the
> message. sheesh. <g> I use bitter apple for the plants, but they still dig.
> Does anyone know what to do about that? Please? I need new potting soil now
> because Nonni ( a kit too, can ya tell? <G>) has exposed roots now. Sheez...

Daisy Lyn,

I haven't tried this yet, but Ann Davis of LIFE swears by putting an inch
or two layer of river rock on the top of the soil in plant pots.  She says
the rocks can be purchased at nurseries or home stores like Hechinger's.
Apparently the rocks are too heavy for ferrets to want to bother with, and
they allow for watering, as the water drains right through.

Katie, Jeff, Bandit, Molly, Charlie, Pogo & Sigmund
Katie Fritz
Small Mammals Section Leader/CompuServe Pets Forum
Internet: [log in to unmask]  CIS: 71257,3153