From:
Mary Frerich-Kulesa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 11:15:54 EDT
In reference to your comment:
>From:    Anne W <[log in to unmask]>
>
>Has anyone every used the store bought "Uncle Jim's Original Duk Soup
>Mix".  I have as yet been too intimidated to grind up chicken parts...
>Is it any good?

Anne, I've never personally tried it.  I make my own and the fur kids
love it.  Your welcome to give it a try and see how your baby(s) like it.

Cook 3 whole chicken breasts, save broth.  Allow to cool enough so you
can handle it to remove from bones and sinew, leave fat and skin with the
meat.  Grind your ferret favorite kibble in a coffee grinder until very
fine.  Add ground kibble to blender, add enough water to turn into a
medium thick consistency.  Leave kibble mixture in blender, add some of
the broth, start adding the chicken and liquefy.  Continue to add chicken
and broth until you've added all the meat from the chicken.  Soup should
be medium, if not, add more ground kibble.  Put remaining broth into
small freezer containers and freeze.  Place soup into small freezer
containers and freeze, When you need duck soup, take one soup and some
broth out, allow to defrost in the refrigerator.

When your ready to use, add some of the broth, ferretone, ferretvite, 1
tsp yogurt or heavy cream.  Mix ingredients together until well blended
and store in refrigerator.  Feed duck soup every 2 to 4 hours as needed
during recovery from surgery or illness.  Remember to heat before
serving.  Microwaves work great for this, in mine it take 10 seconds to
heat up the soup and it comes out at just the right temperature so they
can dig right in and gobble it all up.