From:
"M. Marcinkowski" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 00:28:27 -0500
Hi folks, one of our ferrets recently underwent an exploratory surgery of
his abdomen.  Since our vet suspected that there might be a problem with his
liver (low protein and albumin levels - they went back to normal since the
surgery), she took a sample of the liver tissue and sent it for pathology.
Even though his liver turned out to be otherwise normal, the pathologist
noted (as an "incidental finding"), that there were traces of copper present
in his liver.

We are kind of puzzled, since we don't know whether the copper accumulation
could be caused by abnormally high copper intake (water?) or whether the
ferret has a tendency to accumulate copper in his body.  Just in case, we
started giving all our animals bottled water and we put the guy on small
doses of zinc supplements.

Apparently, there is a breed of dogs (can't remember the name :-)) in which
copper accumulation in the liver is quite common.  Our vet thinks that, even
though there is no immediate danger, if the thing goes on, it may lead to
liver failure at some point down the road.  One her colleagues supposedly
read a journal paper on the subject, but can't remember which journal it was
in, so it's not of much help...

Anyway, if any of you folks had similar problems or know anything on the
subject, we would appreciate your comments.

Thanks,

Monika & Matthew Marcinkowski
Edmonton, Alberta