From:
Jeannie Loeb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:47:52 -0400
Dear Marlene,

If you are fair, then you will post my email in open forum, just like
you posted your email to Gordon, in open forum... Because Gordon was
criticized in the open, then it's only fair that you are open to the
same style of criticism.

I think it's unfortunate that you wrote that email in the open.  I'm
going to give you the benefit of the doubt and say that I think that you
were just trying to be compassionate for Kodo.  However, you made a
mistake in criticizing in open forum; that was unnecessarily cruel.  I
also think that the way you went about expressing your opinion was also
unfortunate.  There are many ways to say something...and you chose a less
than compassionate way of saying it--particularly to someone you really
don't know at all.

My husband and I are Kodo's previous owners.  We thought we gave Kodo a
good life, but when we saw how Gordon took care of him (and his brother,
Podo)...the love he gave, the toys and homes he made for them, we knew
that we didn't do them justice.  Gordon gave Kodo paradise on earth and
we are so very grateful that he took them in when we were no longer able
to properly care for them because of our rapidly growing family.

I truly don't believe that Gordon made Kodo "linger" just to satisfy
his own needs.  I felt that Gordon, instead, gave Kodo every chance to
live...if that was what he was going to do.  He hand-fed the little guy
for Pete's sake, when Kodo couldn't eat on his own.  Then, Kodo got
better for awhile...so what was Gordon supposed to do?  Prematurely end
Kodo's life?  When it did become apparent that Kodo was not passing
easily on his own, Gordon helped him "across the bridge," despite that
Gordon knew that he would very much miss Kodo.  Gordon did his best for
Kodo.  I truly believe that.

And I think it's a shame that in Gordon's time of grief, that you would
lash out at him--for no particular good so far as I can see.  Maybe next
time, you will be just as compassionate for the PEOPLE who lovingly care
for their beloved ferrets...

Most sincerely,
Jeannie