From:
Debi & David Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:46:19 -0500
To can meat, you'll definitely need to use the pressure cooker method.

First, don't cook the chicken in your recipe.  Just grind it and add it
raw to the other ingredients.  Jars should be sterilized and kept in the
sterilizing water until ready to be filled.  Read the instructions that
come with your pressure cooker.  These sterilization procedures are
critical!

Fill jars with the mixture up to 1 inch from the top of the jar (this is
called headspace).  Pint jars should be processed 65 minutes at 10 pounds
of pressure.  Quart jars should be processed 75 minutes at 10 pounds of
pressure.

Boil (gently!) for 10 minutes before serving any can meat mixture.
Nutrients will be sealed in the mixture during pressure processing but
can be boiled out by excessive boiling before serving.

I don't can Bob's recipe myself, so I can't really tell you how well this
works with that particular recipe.  The above is simply drawn from Better
Homes & Gardens Cook Book and my experience from canning other meat
containing recipes.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home