From:
i am ashes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 16:25:37 -0500
I got "into" ferrets working at the Oregon Zoo several years ago, where
three sable ferts "worked" in the pettable/education animals.  Some of what
I did in the educational animals section was cleaning their cage, feeding
them, taking them to schools or out into the zoo for kids to learn about
and pet (Kid: "Look mom, it's a raccoon!" Mom: "No honey, that's a weasel."
LOL), and playing with them whenever I could.  They were definitely
favorites among the staff.

Since I've read up on ferrets through books, webpages, magazines, etc. but
I only joined FML after I got Wiggy (a few weeks ago).  I've seen some
stuff I don't know about....

The ferts at the zoo were never sick, they were lithe, active, a good
weight, great fur.  They got dry carnivore diet (about the same stuff the
big cats got) and chicken necks.  I am feeding Wiggy Totally Ferret.  There
seems like so many ferrets are getting sick and passing on to the rainbow
bridge on this list, and it brings tears to my eyes with every story.  Are
they so fragile??  I know about ECE and adrenal surgeries, etc. but I've
never been on an animal list with so many furbabies passing on, and I admit
it's scaring me.  Am I only seeing the worst, or do I need to expect a
lot of health problems for Wiggy in the future?  The vet said he was very
healthy, and he got his first shot (the next one 3wks from that, then 3wks
after that).  The vet didn't warn me against much ... make sure he doesn't
eat stuff that could hurt him, watch for reactions to the shots, etc.  The
vet is a fertfan himself and was very good with Wiggy.

I've heard ferts love raisins, ferretone, etc.  Well, I've got raisins and
ferretone and other treats... Wiggy doesn't even seem to know what they
are.  He just sniffs them as if they're cage furniture.  He's a MF dooker,
is this why he doesn't know what to do with treats?  Should I try to get
him to eat them (and if so, how), or not worry about it?  He does like his
cheweasel if not for swallowing at least for throwing around, he loves toys.

What is duck soup?

Thanks in advance. }:=8}

Tserisa -- [log in to unmask] -- and her menagerie

Wiggy (fert), Gypsy (dog), Jareth (service dog), Neko, Maddy, Gwen,
Pickles, Spook, Julian (cats), Moody Blue, Cuff, Grommit (rats), Boo
(minature giant space hamster), Bunny (rabbit), Mist, Nrgwenya (royal
pythons), Draco (bearded dragon), Moses (iguana), Legs (tarantula), Morn
(ringneck dove), Jabberwock (Nanday conure), Fuss Budget, Notgonna
(budgies), Jasper, Smokey (horses), the pond fishies, and the millipedes.

Pets and People helps train therapy and service animals for free and works
by donation.  You can help, just by doing your online shopping through
iGive.  Sign up today.  Many pets and many people will thank you.
<http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=1188&mid=98318>