From:
Melissa Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 02:57:53 -0400
Good Day All!!

This is in reference to a question posted by ([log in to unmask]) Stephanie
in 04/10/98 FML:

YES - I have heard of Florida Ferrets.  From what I understand they are the
MF distributor for a certain area of Florida... perhaps SW but I'm not sure
as to the geographical extent of the area that they cover.

They are located in Fort Myers.  There is a pet store in Fort Myers (on
San Carlos Blvd. near the beach) called Animal Connection.  It is a
(self-described) "subsidiary" of Florida Ferrets and is run by Annie &
Marylou.  (Sorry; can't remember last names but I've seen Marylou's name
on some sites..)

I purchased my 2nd ferret, Cocoa, from Animal Connection at the suggestion
of other local pet stores.  Annie was VERY helpful; she advised me to bring
Dexter (my 1st ferret) to help "choose" her playmate.  (Looking back, I
wonder if that was a wise move on both her part & mine given potential for
contracting ECE, etc..  but I was blissfully ignorant as to possible
dangers...)

I live in a city that's adjacent to Fort Myers and was mentioning to Annie
that there was a local pet store that kept their ferrets in a lg. aquarium
with little ventilation, no toys, no hammocks, one water bottle, small
amount of food and 2" THICK CEDAR SHAVINGS!!  BLASPHEMY!!  The same store
also could not tell me Dexter's gender when I purchased her (thus the
name ;-> ), but instead told me that "once ferrets are fixed you can't tell
a male from a female; just ASSIGN it a sex." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Annie was VERY interested in this information and she wrote down the name
and location of the store as well as the name of the clerks I'd dealt with.
She indicated that they distributed ferrets TO that store and that she'd
look into those conditions.

That was in 12/97 and I'm sad to report that conditions have NOT changed AT
ALL at that store. :-(

BUT... (oops, this is getting wordy - sorry!!) I went to a local Pet
Supermarket that opened this past weekend, about 4 miles from the
aforementioned pet store, and the manager said that they do NOT get their
ferrets from Florida Ferrets, but directly from Marshall Farms.  Perhaps
because they're a national chain??  He informed me that the kits were 6
weeks old.

They're in (clean) pine shavings, no hammock (just that ever-popular lg
plastic ball w/the holes in it) and a toy that didn't squeak, have a ball
in it or anything.  In fact, it still had an inventory tag attached to it
which, when I pointed it out, they said they knew & left it at that.  Worst
part to me was that the food pellets were dry & rock-hard.  I tried to
gently suggest to a clerk that the kits' teeth couldn't handle that food and
that putting water on it would help them out.  Essentially, she "blew me
off." *sigh* So I watched as the little guys/gals did their best to gum it
to death with what teeth they had.

ANYWAY... have I answered your question somewhere in here?  My, I am
prolific for so early in the a.m.... I shall close by saying that I've heard
nothing *bad* about Florida Ferrets and I know that they seem happy to talk
with anyone who calls.  I hope that they're subscribers here so that we can
get more information about them than what bits & pieces I've been able to
provide here.

BTW, Thank the Powers That Be for the FML (BIG & all subscribers!!).
Without this forum I wouldn't know half of what I do about fuzzies and
what I DO know isn't a fraction of what I probably should / WANT to!!

Happy Dooking to All!!  :-D

Melissa,
proud mom to Dexter, Cocoa & Mojo  >^v^<-,----------,''''''''