From:
alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 12:45:44 -0500
Almost everyone has an opinion on this topic.  As I stated earlier, I
believe the same first step has led us to different paths.  Perhaps if this
"debate" were more "discussion" oriented, then it would not need to end
prematurely and without resolve.  It may very well be that Marshall must be
compelled to change some of the reported practices these concerns have
raised.  Marshall may need to bite its own bullet in acknowledging,
accepting, and actively taking responsibility for the dilemma their
practices appear to have not only created, but encouraged.  In retrospect,
Marshall appears to rely heavily on our collective frustration, apathy,
disorganization, and ignorance.  This is the bullet *we* must have to bite
to move beyond this point.  Time and previous efforts have born this out.

Marshall bashing, hardly.  We need to keep in mind the greatest fuel for
this fervor is indeed Marshall's own apparent closed door policy and
strictly enforced gag order on *all* employees down to cage cleaners which
creates this shroud of secrecy which, to the best of my recall, has *never*
been a healthy, productive, or safe practice in all other environments.  Why
on Earth should we accept this from Marshall?

Even BK expresses, albeit quietly, some very serious concerns, and I admire
this moment of candor.  I don't know, maybe the end result is only a
breeder's perspective for recognition: is it?  However, true proof of
reputation is *not* in the end product, but *how* that product is achieved
otherwise slavery would still be a viable and common practice.

What we may indeed be discussing is the enslavement and exploitation of well
over a million ferrets in the past decade alone.  What we may indeed be
discussing is the cruel, cramped, tortuous environment these animals may be
enduring along with an unprecedented ferret genocide on a regular basis.
While many of us may disagree on the "rights" of Maine lobster, I cannot
think of any of us on this list that would permit the dumping of one ferret
into a pot of boiling water.  Why should we accept tokenism in this
endeavor?  We need solid, meaningful, and permanent action.  To date, many
of us have been bought off cheaply, or at the very least lulled into a state
of acquiescence or complicity.  We could all work harder, including myself,
and it really requires the help and efforts of many to accomplish this task.
Together, I believe this can work.  It's certainly worthy of the effort.

best wishes,
until next time,
alphachi