Date:
Sat, 14 May 2005 13:11:39 -0400
"TinyPrintsOnTheHeart.com" <[log in to unmask]> wrote on 5/11/2005:
>You are Dead Wrong here.  If you plug away at something, things do get
>changed.  But yes, they take time and sometimes alot of time.  It take
>time to print off flyers, distribute them and get them to use them.
>But it DOES work.  I and a couple of my ferret friends have educated
>people at our local Petco (employees) about ferrets, their needs and
>their draw backs.

If you acknowledge that educating at the individual store level is good,
and works, then why is it bad to educate at the corporate chain level?
That is all that the IFC committee members, and other clubs and ferret
groups are trying to do.

And, especially why did you criticize the effort when in the case of
PetCo, a vet from their corporate staff specifically asked for members
of the ferret community to write (email) him, so he could show other
corporate members that removing bad items would be a good thing.  He
made this request after meeting with Dr. Murray and the members of the
Ferret Lover's Club of Texas.

I have no problem with people working with their local pet stores to
insure that the employees have good information to work from.  In fact,
I think it is important for people who operate shelters to let the local
pet stores know they are there, can provide new ferret owners with
assistance and information after the sale has been made.

But there are so many pet stores, and working at the store level will
take a lot more time and effort.  By working at the corporate level of
the major chains, which we currently have the chance to do, we will cover
a lot more ground with less effort.  By educating at the corporate level,
hopefully the information will filter down to all the stores in the
chain.

For the past 5 or 6 years I have been trying to get my local PetCo to
remove a sign from their ferret habitat that advises that "ferrets are
nocturnal", and that "in addition to kibble, ferrets should be fed fruits
and vegetables as treats".  I have spoken to any number of the store
managers over the years (the managers seen to change every 8 to 10
months), and always get the same reply.  They claim the card is provided
by the corporate headquarters, and they are required to post it.

Now, I don't know whether that is true or not.  I have been in other
PetCos that do not have that information card any longer.  But, as long
as they can blame it on their corporate people, they will not change.

So, there is a need to educate the corporate people.  And, I think the
effort is making progress.  Dr. Mike from PETsMART is no monitoring the
FML, to learn what our needs and concerns are.  A vet from PetCo has
acknowledged that some of the products they sell are bad, and need
removal, and has asked for our assistance in proving this to other PetCo
corporate people.  The Ferret Depot has also agreed to work with us on
identifying and removing inappropriate products.

This is not a complete victory, but it certainly is a start.  And, it is
something that is worth pursuing.

I have been on the FML for almost 10 years now, and while we have
complained for years about things, this is the first time I have seen
any real progress at getting pet store chains to listen and respond.
To me, this progress is a very good thing.

"TinyPrintsOnTheHeart.com" <[log in to unmask]>  on 5/11/2005, 3:00 AM:
>With the high percentages of ferrets getting sick (about 89%), people
>need to know that going into ferret ownership.  You can say processed
>foods are not good either.  Feed raw/live diet.  That is what alot of
>people in Europe do and their numbers are way down on issues of getting
>sick.  But this would require alot more work and mess and it is so much
>easier getting the kibble.

While I will not knock the idea of feeding a raw diet, I am also not
convinced it is that much better or safer.  I still worry about the
problems of bacteria and such associated with raw meats.

I realize that you have not been an FML member as long as I and others
have been, but if you go back through the archives, you will see that it
is not a simple matter of one type of diet causing or curing the problems
that affect our beloved fuzzies.

Initially, it was thought that European ferrets did not suffer from
adrenal disease and insulinoma.  But, after time, what was found was many
European ferret owners did not vet their animals, and so the animals died
without knowing the causes of death.  When European vets began taking an
interest in caring for ferrets, it was found that they did have the same
problems we deal with.

I don't think any one item can be said to cause adrenal disease or
insulinoma.  There are likely many factors that are responsible,
including genetics, photo periods, early spay/neuter, and diet.

So, while a bad diet will likely contribute to the chances of a ferret
developing insulinoma, I doubt it is the only cause.  But, if improving
diet will help to lessen the chance of disease, then it is something
that is worth pursuing.

My own experience has been that by feeding a diet of high quality ferret
kibble and cutting out all sugary treats, I have drastically cut down on
the incidence of insulinoma.  Now, my ferretry is hardly big enough to
be statistically significant, but I still believe in limiting the amount
of carbohydrates my kids get.  I only wish I could convince them to eat
Natural Gold, but they absolutely refuse to have anything to do with it.
--
Danee
International Ferret Congress Health Issues Coordinator