From:
Steve Austin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Aug 2001 22:03:26 -0400
Aggie wrote:
>well, I just got back from the vet and I must say I am pissed (excuse my
>language)!  I went to get a booster shot for my little Pechu.  It was for
>distemper.  maybe I'm expecting too much, but when you go to a vet, you
>expect the same vet every time and that the vet knows your pet and the
>vet answers your questions with pleasure.  AM I expecting too much, but
>I do expect when I go with a healthy pet that the vet I see is the same
>every time.  I would expect them to schedule me so that I get to see the
>same vet every time.  When you have a different vet every time you visit,
>it feels very impersonal, and I don't think its fair to the pet or human.

I have more than one vet for my guys, across the street is the one for
shots, and just checkups, and about a half hour away is the ferret
knowledgeable vet for surgeries, ill ferrets,etc.

The one across the street has 3 vets, one is the original owner and has no
ferret knowledge, the vet tech showed him how to scruff, the other two are
o.k.  When I make the appointment I am asked if I have a preference for who
I see.  If they don't ask, I ask them to schedule me with so and so.

I have seen other vets from time to time, and have taken opportunities to
educate the non-ferret experienced vets.  One never heard of the Tennessee
panel, so I sent them the info, how to send the sample, etc.  It was not
for my ferret, but in case they had a case and needed the info.

I also print any good medical stuff I come across, and I try not to be
confrontational with the vets.  Ear mites are easy to diagnose with a
sample of the ear debris on a slide.  Shouldn't charge too much to do that.
I expect the vet would be very familiar with ear mites since they are not
unique to ferrets.  Ferretone however is unique - although it is basically
the same as Linatone for cats and dogs.

I pay for the initial exam and shots and the booster shots are the only
charge on the follow up- no exam fee that time.  I also ask up front for
pricing, and called around to find out the fees for shots, exams, etc. for
my cats,dogs, and settled for the best I could find, reasonable fees, good
hours of operation, and location.  Although it may be hard to find ferret
experienced vets, you can educate your vet,get references to where the
nearest ferret vet is , and ask for the vet you like when you schedule
your appointments.

In the U.S. the distemper vaccine is just that, the only approved one is
Fervac-D, but Galaxy D has been used in those with known allergies to
Fervac.  Try putting in Ferret vaccines in the search engine, and you will
find companies that sell the vaccine.  I don't know the added costs to ship
to Canada.

Problems: Vets don't like to give vaccines they didn't order and they can't
assure it was stored properly,etc.  Ferrets have a chance of getting a
severe allergic reaction after the shots- so doing it at home is dangerous,
unless you have a vet you work closely with, that is open when you give the
shot, etc.

I couldn't find a vet to give the vaccines I orderd for the dogs, the
vaccines cost about $2-4 for the 5 in1 shot, which the vet charges $40 for,
understand this is a way for them to make their money and cover overhead,
the only place I have found it cheaper is at low cost clinics.  I can't
get my dogs groomed or boarded if I give it myself- have to have proof of
the vaccine from a vet

FYI- around me, in the North East, U.S. the distemper vaccine is usually
around $15.

Patty