From:
Steve & Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 1995 19:49:44 EDT
I guess I got TOO terse to be clear.  This info is about RABIES IN
HUMANS.  YES, there are tests.

Recently read Sci. Am. Science and Medicine, May/June '95 issue and
recommend the article on rabies.  (By same publisher as regular Sci.
Am., and the Sci. Am. Oncology Journal.  And you thought I couldn't
read just 'cause I'm dyslexic!) If possible will acquire reprints.
Snippets: DOCUMENTED human incubation extending from several days (for
bad head and neck bites), to over six years.  The virus shows up in
human saliva, tears, skin, corneas, and several other places.  Saliva
can be used to infect mice or tissue cultures (as per Pam's info
printed since I mentioned it unclearly).  Antibodies may show up in
sera or cerebralspinal fluid.  Basically, there are multiple ways to
test in humans -- even some for the living and breathing ones.  Other
methods can be used after death for diagnosis.  The way it expresses
itself can vary and there are four human documented survivors of
paralytic rabies (The article says two without complications!)
Transmission can occur by aerosol route, but MAY require a large
exposure for it.  More typical are exposures through broken skin or
mucus membrane-fluid contact (including of eyes).  Dogs still primary
vector world-wide.  Also addressed: costs, history, ancedotal evidence
of longer human incubations and of other survivors of the paralytic
form (esp. in Asia), progression, clinical considerations, structure,
causes of death and damage, related illnesses, wild reservoirs
treatment, vaccination, occurance.  No ferret mentions.

[Moderator's note: Sukie, I don't think we were saying there aren't tests
for humans, but rather that by the time the tests can confirm exposure
it's way too late to administer the life-saving vaccine.  BIG]

Re: using same tests for ferrets: I have read nothing on corneal
involvement in ferrets; has anyone else?  The tests done from saliva
would not work in animals which seem to be likely to NOT have it in
their saliva.  Could enough cerebro-spinal fluid be drawn for tests in
a tiny animal which has no symptoms and is probably clean?  Bruce?
(With the rapid progression so far documented, one which is infected
would probably show large symptoms by this point, wouldn't it?) Blood
serum & c/s antibodies can also be caused by vaccination so those are
out for most.  Skin involvement in humans is a late symptom, and I've
read nothing on ferret skin involvement.  If shedding studies continue
to show no real salivary gland involvement those studies might do more
to end rapid destructions than anything else.

BTW, State policies may NOT reflect the level of available medical
options; take that into account.

GERIATRIC FERRETS: 11 & 1/2!  Great!  We had a very ancient ex-breeder
who had reasonable sight in one eye and found that she loved having
her own aquarium to watch.  Yes, we got it just for Haleakala.  Know
of 2 14y.o.

ANAL GLANDSAmong Hale's geriatric ills was an a.g.  infection which
required removal.  She alternated numerous releases with blockages of
the glands, and her odor was FAR worse than the normal (wonderful to
us) musks of ferrets.  Does this help?

FOOD SHAPES: We had the same palate entrapment problem mentioned by Pam
with Fritter; and taught her to use her own forepaw to remove the pieces.

BOOK FROM '20s:  Please, give title, author, etc.!

PATH VALLEY: Meltdown is a PV 6.5+ year old who is doing very well
now, and is extremely energetic.  They considered years ago looking at
horse-race breeding software to see about tracing their lines so DO
let them know in case they found that useful for ferrets.  We have 2
younger PVs, and others.

-- Sukie