From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 May 1998 16:43:14 -0400
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Pam's right!!!  State laws make complete sense!  This is a wonderful way
>to tackle the issue.
>>1. Require that no... companion animal... be sold to the public until it
>>is 8 weeksof age.
>>2. Require that any USDA licensed facility which sells domesticated
>>companion animals ...to the public, only sell neutered animals.

I agree - except for #2.  It needs to be specific - what is the public?
And what is a USDA licensed facility?

I am a "hobby" breeder (I say this as it is not my full time job, nor do I
make a living from it), but I am USDA licensed because my state requires me
to be.  In Michigan, you *must* be USDA licensed if you own more than 4
adult, whole ferrets.  You can have babies, but they need to be sold before
age one or you must get licensed.  I don't sell to pet stores.  I have many
other breeders that obtain stock from me.  If I wanted to sell to pet
stores - being the general public - they would need to be spayed/neuterd &
descented (this is according to my USDA rep).  So making law that all USDA
licensed breeders must sell altered ferrets only . . . this just doesn't
make me happy.  I know other USDA licensed breeders that sell breeding
ferrets to other breeders, also.

There are USDA licenses "class A" - which are breeders - and "class B" -
which are dealers.  Dealers can be breeders, also.  Breeders cannot be
dealers.  Dealers obtain ferrets (or other animals) and sell them to pet
stores - for example the Ferret Broakers are dealers.  Pet stores can buy
from breeders or dealers.  Which should sell altered animals only?  Now
which of these are the USDA facility you speak of?

I personally think any and all pet stores that sell any kind of animal -
even feeder mice - should be USDA licensed.  Or at the very least strictly
State regulated.

Amy