Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:00:11 -0400
POOF!  Well, here I am again coming outta nowhere.

Judy, I do not run a shelter, but I have a pretty good insight and
perception of the hardships that they all must encounter.  I have never
experienced it, I know from my attitude and gut feelings that I have a
solid understanding of what it's all about.

I just wanted to make a few comments to your post, RE: Rainbow Bridge and
Ferrets:

>This post is certainly going to make a lot of people mad!  But I feel It
>has to be said.

Mad?  Heck no!  Up for discussion or comments, why certainly.  You feel it
had to be said, and you" are rightly so.

>I am continually reading about all the needs of the ferret shelters.  They
>are constantly needing money for surgeries on ferrets with adrenal and
>other types of cancers.

Sorry Judy, but this I believe will constantly be an ongoing crisis and one
that shelters will always need to content with.

>First I want to clarify that I am not talking to owners of ferrets!
>Period!  No discussion there!  You take care of your ferrets your way.
>No argument or advice from me!

I am talking of no one in particular, but yes there are probably ferrets
out there who would benefit at a shelter 100 times over as opposed to their
current living conditions.  And medical bills, I honestly feel that
shelters would go much farther than a lot of homes would.

>Ferret shelters on the other hand, need to realize that they have a
>responsibility to ALL needy ferrets, not just a few sick ones.

I believe they do realize that they have a responsibility to all needy
ferrets.  Why else would they shelter?

>Yet those few sick ferrets are constantly using up the funds needed to
>help lots of other ferrets.  If a ferret is turned into a ferret shelter
>with terminal illness, or very expensive surgery and after care needed,
>shelters should euthanize them and use the funds to help the many other
>ferrets in need.

Ya do what ya gotta do at all possible "costs".  I am certain, that the
only way a shelter would would euthanize is at the "call of a good ferret
knowledgeable vet".  I believe that all the shelters that I am familiar
with are "No Kill Shelters".  So yes it can get expensive, but that's part
of the overall picture, and one that you instinctively see through.  To
keep killing em off for the sake of others, is not really taking the
ferrets best outlook at heart is it.  (Kind of a strong point,but it's
mine).

Part 2 to follow...  [Posts combined.  BIG]

>It is a wonderful dream to help each and every ferret, but not terribly
>realistic.  I am finding that an awful lot of people are not terribly
>realistic about this.  Ferrets, unlike us, do not fear death.  It is a
>natural end to their days.  What they fear is pain!  And we in our efforts
>to prolong their days, put them thru a lot of pain.  It is kind of hard to
>justify our doing this to our pets, just because we love them and selfishly
>want to keep them with us.

Whoa!  Your realization of this, obviously is not other's realization.
That certainly does not make shelters unrealistic in their way of thinking.
You think that ferrets do not fear death, your probably right, what do they
know, but if they realized what they will gain by surgery or medical
treatments, I think they would choose to live, just as we would That's why
we they spend the $$$ on them.  The ferret benefits, and so do the hearts
of the shelter.  It's more than a money thing.

Of course they fear and dislike pain, just like us.  I imagine my Jade went
through some pain and discomfort when he had his splenomegaly.  But he came
around again, recovered 100%.  And yes it is sad, when anyone for that
matter keeps a ferret alive for themselves, not because it's best for the
ferret.  And yes that's "only" when euthanizing is the right thing to do.
Again a good ferret knowledgeable vet is the one who should make this
decision.

I certainly wouldn't euthanize as an option cause I was short on funds, nor
would I let the ferret suffer, I get those funds somehow, just as shelters
do.  I have known people to spend thousands to try to save their babies,
and they have more than one baby to contend with, just as I am sure most
shelters do too.  You see it's all worth it to us, if it will lead the
ferret to a longer and healthier life, why not, they are none less
important than any other.

>Okay, now that everyone and his brother is mad at me, because I have
>pointed out a shortcoming in the ferret community, I'll just hide in my
>bedroom for a month for the flaming to quit.  However, before you e-mail
>with your hate mail, take a long look inside yourself.  What do you fear
>the most?  Is it loosing someone or something you love and the pain it
>will cause?  Or is it the pain we inflict in the name of love on our fuzzy
>friends?

Again, mad, hate mail, never!  Now get outta that bedroom, and read your
e-mails I am sure you may have some in agreement with you but I'm certain
most will be in opposition.  But you knew that was to be expected right?  I
just hope all are sincere and diplomatic, it works best that way :o)

What do I fear most, I would have to say it's the day the vet tells me
"Jadesun, it's time to let go." Only then will that decision be carried
through.  @-->-->--

Take care Judy ;o)

Always,

Jadesun, Jade Elaine Mr.MeFirst & Daisy Mai  ;o)
                            @-->-->--

Taken forever a "Whisper to a Scream"
     http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/jadesun