From:
Angela Pruitt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 1994 13:52:35 -0400
Dear Ferret-owners (or is it "ownees"?):
  We have a problem, that a concerted FML response might help to solve.
Our ferret, Alfie, is a somewhat spoiled "only weasel", very dependent
on attention from his humans.  In my work, I have to travel a fair bit,
and we used to take Alfie with us in a Port-a-kennel (under-seat size)
-- which the airlines used to allow as an "in-cabin pet".  We've heard
horror stories (sadly, true ones) about the conditions in the so-called
pressurized cargo space for pets, and about pet deaths therein, so
we will only travel with Alfie in the passenger cabin with us.
  Over the last year or so, the computer instructions (to ticket agents)
have gradually  -- airline by airline -- replaced the provision for
"small animals in under-seat pet-containers" with explicit listing
of animal species allowed in cabin: typically, "dogs, cats, and small
birds" but no mention of ferrets.  Recently, many airlines have added
miniature pigs -- which I guess indicates that they are responsive
to public pressure, at least if the "public" in question is on the
wealthy side (those pigs are very expensive!).

   So, here's my request: Would you please take the time and trouble
to write to as many airlines as possible (copies of the same letter
should work fine), addressed to the Public Relations Manager of
TWA, Southwest, Delta, American, United, USAir, Northwest, etc.,
(financially-troubled airlines might be the most responsive!)
saying that you are a frequent traveller, and WOULD USE THEIR
AIRLINE MORE OFTEN if you were allowed to take your ferret(s) on
board with you!!!  This may be useful to many of you at some time;
it would sure help us alot whenever the prevailing practice could
be "enlightened" about ferrets.  It clearly won't happen unless
there is a lot of mail to convey the message that ferrets are pets
and pose no special risks to other passengers, but might earn the
airlines some additional $$$.

   Thanks to all for whatever help you can manage!

   Bob Reis
   Little Rock, AR