From:
"A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 1996 06:06:50 EST
Several people have written about tail hair loss on ferrets, black dots, red
and flaky skin, etc.  And I am the non-vet person who sometimes addresses
ferret problems here (and takes the brunt of criticism for it), but I do
want to say that ferret problems are often elusive and we can all benefit by
the experiences and thoughtful input of others who may have had similar
medical and behavioral experiences with their ferrets.  I certainly do,
reading and making notes on various treatments and responses from both vets
and "non-vets".  There's room for us all.  I spend much of every day saving
lives of ferrets brought to this shelter which has a wide reputation for
success in treating ferret medical problems where vets are either not a
financial option, have failed to cure, or have shrugged at the problem.  I
have one tonight sturggling with pnemonia--on oxygen and antibiotics; one
recovering from emaciation and now eating up a storm; one with insulinoma
and dealing with recurring seizures as he reaches the advanced stages of the
disease (but he keeps coming back, with a little help from his friends....),
so take the suggestions, ignore the suggestions and scroll on, or make a
note of my e-mail address for that late night when your vet is unreachable
or unknowledgeable, and I'll be here.

As to hair loss on ferrets tails, there are, of course, many causes and the
vets have wisely added the more definitive symptoms of adrenal disease.
Ferrets naturally drag their tails everywhere they go and it would be
reasonable that they would pick up some hitchhikers on the way--such as
mites from the carpet.My solution to tail hair loss when it only involves
the tail is to wash it thoroughly once a day for a week with a good
antibacterial soap.  That's all.  And then wait.  The hair usually starts
growing back in a couple weeks.  If the skin is red or flaky, you could
certainly apply a medicated ointment as well.  I would also check the ears,
because the way ferrets sleep, with their tails over their ears, mites can
well be transmitted back and forth.  If this treatment doesn't work, explore
other possible causes.

Best to all the FMLers and their ferrets. I'm here to help, not to argue!
                       Carolyn Kinsey, vet tech/shelter operator