From:
Ryan Seaton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Oct 1998 22:29:33 -0400
I have developed my own perspective.  That takes time.  About discipline
and punishment: I used to teach in a preschool.  I put kids in "time
out" as a form of punishment.  I did the best I knew.  I heard about
"redirection", which I thought was poo!  (You get a child's attention off
something by showing something else....)  Now what does this have to do with
training ferrets to behave?  Well, I heard experts.  I listened.  I learned
by trial and error.  But eventually my heart was in charge.....

So after hearing all theory I just let my heart rule...with the facts.  I
have a degree in Psychology and another in Education (as a child
development specialst for kids with disabilities) so I should be quoting
what "they" say...but the books can all go to the devil.  When you look
into a child's eyes, you see trust....you see a heart too.  This child
can't learn WHAT THEY SHOULD DO NEXT TIME unless you teach them.  How can I
punish someone because I failed to teach them?  You could yell and punish
and take away privileges....and they would just wonder why they were
treated like that...and feel sad or afraid.  That says a lot about our
character.  But you take a child and show them WHAT TO DO and make a big
deal over their efforts.  Wow: you end up with a child that wants to please
you and work hard and who is happy!

So aren't our ferrets our little children?  Those who depend on us, be they
my children or pets, need tenderness.  That is the fertile ground for
developing trust and reciprocal love.  You can make a child/pet listen and
break their spirit.  You can teach a child/pet what todo and make them
proud and happy.  It takes time to see which is more effective.  And even
more to see the beauty in gentleness.  We must be patient.  After all, is
the result (good behavior) more important than the process (the love we
show as we teach)?  I won't comment on some people's form of child
discipline (I would get this thrown out!) but it is the same principal ....

Sorry, folks, my .02 turned out to be $1.20 worth, but love and respect for
our fuzzies is not an option.  If we can't provide tenderness we should not
have them.  PERIOD.

Kiss your babies
Ryan
Reiko ("Kisses 6/Bites 2....we ALL win!")
Fester ("I never NEED correcting!")
Nino ("Sure, Fester, like Gran'ma WANTED you to rip through and tunnel
into her big bed and keep her up all night scratchin' and makin' her
afraid she'd squash you!")