From:
Julie Thornton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:38:37 -0700
Hi All -

I'm afraid as a shelter operator, I rarely have exposure to very young kits,
so I can't solve this particular problem/set of problems.  Those of you who
are breeders are probably my best resource.

About 3-4 weeks ago, I adopted "Suzette" to this family, making their third
fuzzy family member.  She was their first "scented" ferret, so there was the
usual couple of poofs as she got settled in with her new friends, followed
by the usual blissful friendships we are pleased to see happen.

Well, last week they found an unaltered kit of 7 weeks' age and brought him
home as well.  This didn't come thru me, but she did talk with me at some
length about how she thought she'd be bringing him home.  I admitted to
having zero experience with kits that young, and she's been giving me
updates since.  HOwever, she's got a problem!

Since the kit came home, it has become the sole property of Suzette.  If it
wonders too far away from her, the male ferret will bring him back to
Suzette with a look of disdain for her not properly caring for little
"Hercules" and keeping him under control.  This really isn't the problem...
Suzette & Hercules sleep together and get along very well, except when he
plays more than she feels like and she has to reprimand him.  However, the
problem is smell.  The kit smells strongly, no matter how recently he was
bathed and no matter how much dig-box time he has.  Also, Suzette has
started poofing him.  Never when they are wrestling, tho!  Its as though
she is trying to change his smell, according to their human mom.

Anyone out there have ideas about this relationship which would help define
the behaviors and/or offer the humans some smell-respite?

Thanks!
Julie
KFA Shelter mom with limited experience