Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:59:28 -0600
Dear Lorraine,

This thread has nothing to do with having anything "against" your
shelter.  It never has.  It does, however, have everything to do with
having a *discussion* about a situation which arose in which our shelter
became a participant because of a client's unhappiness in the handling of
her case with that other shelter.  That is all.  Nothing more.

The unfortunate truth of this situation is that I am not allowed to
contact anyone at your shelter.  The only way I can hear the other side
of the story is to post to this public forum.  If I could have had this
opportunity, I would liked to have heard the other side of the story
straight from those that picked up the ferret, and from the person who
took the follow up call.  Having said this, we still have an issue that
needs some form of resolution.  If one is not forthcoming to help this
woman understand better why what happened, happened, then we have an
obligation to find a solution so that future scenarios like this one
don't happen again.

No one is mudslinging here.  I am interested in getting to the truth.  On
the way to the truth many questions have to be answered.  I asked a great
many questions in my original posting.  Searching for truth and asking
questions is not conjecture.  Again, no mudslinging was done.  I did not
even mention the name of the shelter because that was not important to
know.  That was not the issue.

In the meantime, this woman will relay her "version of the story" to many
individuals.  As she tells her version of things, she may end up dropping
who she is talking about which may start confusing people into believing
that it is our shelter she is talking about.  Since I don't want that, I
want to make sure that a situation like this does not happen again for
either shelter, for what happens at one shelter is definitely going to
be heard at the other.  From the postings done thus far, solutions are
forthcoming and good ones at that.  And that is what matters most to
me... that this not happen again.  It is so very important to realize
that the actions of a shelter resonate throughout the ferret community.

The actual time frame of reconsideration matters not as the point has
more to do with a client calling during the cooling off period and still
being unable to get her ferrets back.  She stated 24 hours but if she
had stated a week, it would still be the same question.

Thanks again Lorraine for your feelings on this matter.  I look forward
to hearing any suggestions for a solution you may have to this issue.

Betty Janner
Manager of Calgary Operations
Alberta Ferret Society