From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:59:42 -0500
Has anyone ever tried transplanted grafts?  I remember all the worry about
blood transfusions at first, but in ferrets they turned out to NOT have the
problems envisioned.  Maybe it would be better than nothing.  Ask Deb.

Opps, it was Regina and not Alicia who sent that great post about post-ops
and personalities.  At least I clump the best folks together.  Take this
as proof-positive that I can not think if I am doing two things (as if you
needed any more proof).

I thought Kathy's post was just fine.  Try re-reading it but inserting an
friendly, patient tone and you'll find it will sound completely different
to you.  It's easy to read tones into posts and come to a conclusions which
perhaps should be there so it's important to assume the kindest tone except
when the poster makes another obvious.  After a while that becomes habit
most of the time.

Adrenals: certainly early neutering has been proposed as a possible
contributing factor, but it and other potential triggers ( wrong diet, not
enough exercise, too little true darkness, virus, etc.  each remain ONLY
hypotheses until good studies are done.  Have to remember that.

Our rate of adrenal growths is much higher than the 5.5% (10 x 0.55%) your
vet mentioned.  Have heard of homes with more and ones with less than we've
had.  We've seen about 25% here at home, but we aren't seeing the early
ages your vet mentioned normally.  Over the years (about 18) only the rare
individual here has had serious illnesses (except for ECE, coccidea, one
JL, and one nasty bird-borne disease) before the age of 6 years.  That has
included one encapsulated malignant adrenal tumor which was completely
cleared up with surgery at age 5, one insulinoma at a bit more than age 5,
and one probable adrenal which is upcoming at a bit over age 5 1/2.

Caterina, is it possible that he had a temporary reduction in his ability
to smell?  That's how they recognize food as being food.  Some meds and
some illnesses can cause this; sometimes very dry air can, too.  Did you
try a new bag of food?

April, use the search feature for the FML, get the Compendium of Animal
Rabies Control from the AVMA site and copy in three parts, read
http://www.ferretcentral.org and take what you learn there to look
further into referneces.  Consider joining the Ferret Geeks.

Hey, Jen!  You posted the idea Steve had before I did!  I have it in today
because I read your letter after I sent.  Great minds... :-)