Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 10:42:36 -0500
You can make something similar to Bag Balm yourself, if you have experience
making home toiletries.  A recipe that I use frequently is:

1 part shea butter (deodorized, refined)
1 part cocoa butter
1.5 parts castor oil
 .5 part beeswax (white, refined)
Low alpha tocepherol at 2% concentration of the final formula*

* You can use Vitamin E from the drug store, too ..  it'll work just
fine.  You add it in an amount to equal 2% of the total volume of your
ingredients.  It's in there to prevent oxidation of the oils in the balm.

I melt them all together in a homemade double boiler, then let them cool a
bit.  While they are still liquid, I add some essential oils (this is
when I make them for myself, not for use on my pets ...), then pour into
containers to let it "set up"  Some people add some GSE (grapefruit seed
extract), tea tree oil, Germaben II, or another antimicrobial to the balm
to prevent it from growing contaminants during repeated usage from the
same container.

You can also substitute jojoba oil for the castor oil in your formula; it
is absorbed by the skin faster than the castor oil would be.  It's also
a bit more solid, too ..  so you might want to "up" the shea butter
concentration and cut back a bit on the cocoa butter if you use the
jojoba oil (which is actually a liquid wax) instead of the castor oil.
Enjoy!  :->

- Ela

P.S.  If you make it 1 part shea butter, 1 part cocoa butter, 1 part castor
oil, 1 part beeswax, some Vitamin E and some pink grapefruit essential oil
(just a touch ...), you have a very nice lip balm!