From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 12:47:58 EDT
Everyone agrees that unwanted ferrets should be placed where they are
accepted.  I don't have a problem with that.

My problem and I say "my problem" is with the circumstances that surround
that.  Patterns of behavior in regard to pets.  It could be my inability
to understand how one detaches so quickly.

I have seen behavior like this in my own family.

I had a cousin who would get dogs.  I was in the military during this
time.  I never found out what happened to the dog.  Another came another
went.  My boyfriend at the time, got me a rottie.  We ended up married.
Busta was our baby boy.  I had Busta for 8 years until his death.  3
years ago, my cousin told me she got a rottie.  I got to see him.
Beautiful big boned dog.  Still puppyish.  But, had been abused.  She
got him from a rescue.  My first thought this is not going to work.  It's
another fad.  Maybe 8 months later, my mother told me my cousin was
spending no time with the dog.  The conditions that the dog of that size
was kept in was not satisfactory.  My aunt never cared for the dog.
My cousin was in her late 20's.  She decided to give the dog away.  The
man she gave it to had a rottie.  There are a lot of cases were the
introductions of males with dominant personalities just won't go.  I knew
this dog had hand issues.  If you raise your hand even to pet it could a
problem.  So disciplining with your hands was a problem.  The man got bit
and then he got into a fight with the dog.  The authorities didn't take
the dog the first time.  The second incident occur and the man decided to
put him to sleep.  Had my cousin left that dog at the rescue there is a
good possibility he would still be alive?  When my cousin seeked out to
get pregnant.  A couple of family members were concern about how her
behavior would be after a couple of years of being a mother.  We will
never know, she died last year and the child was 1 1/2.

There was an issue with my brother.  It actually divided my mother and
I for a while because she should have known better.  She talked to a
shelter about leaving him there for a couple of months.  When she went to
get him the shelter said no.  I applaud them for that.

Yes, this is a place of knowledge and so forth about ferrets.

I do believe people make mistakes.  But, I do believe that if you see
certain traits of a behavior that could be detrimental to other people or
animals.  Some ones should say something.  If I see a child or teenage
tease a dog through a fence.  I don't care who's child it is.  The
teenager may even curse me out.  So be it.  But, they will know where I
stand concerning the situation.  Everything in my life that I encounter
everyday is not peaches and cream.

The world I live in is a little different from people who believe
everything should move smoothly and happily ever after.  There are people
who agree with things and there people who don't.

But to my ferrets.  Raisin in the Morning and Raisin in the Evening.
That's all they worry about.

Benita