From:
Brandy Ashmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:36:58 -0600
Do ferts get along with other animals?  Yes and no.  I have a 70 lb German
Shepherd who was raised BY my two ferts and knows that ZeppLynn, (oldest
ferret) is boss.  He respects Zepp in every way.  Knows how to act with
them, and also gets the point when he is annoying them and retreats.  I
have a Rotti that I adopted at 8 mo old (I think she had been abused), and
do not allow her with my ferrets, because of a trust issue.

My mother works with a woman that has a cat and a ferret.  These animals
got along great, played fine for a year.  One day the woman walked in to
her bathroom to find her ferret laying with his insides out.  The cat
swiped the ferts tummy and did major damage.  The ferret was taken to a vet
and the vet said it was not likely they could save him.  The lady told them
to do whatever they could.  Just try.  The ferret is still alive, healthy,
and happy, without the used of anything past his shoulders.  He can climb
and play, just not war dance.  The cat isn't allowed around the ferret
anymore.

Bottom line, I think any animals can get along with any other type, under
supervision.  But play means two different things to different animals.  I
think supervision is the best thing when it comes to this issue.