From:
California Domestic Ferret Association <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 1997 00:28:08 -0400
>I haven't heard much redeeming info on CDFA, and would not recommend sending
>money in to them...I do know that Californians for Ferret Legalization
>(CFL), run by Floyd and Jeanne Carley, is the organization that Assemblyman
>Jan Goldsmith (the author of AB 363) is working with.  It is a very
>legitimate organization of a few hard-working volunteers.  Check out their
>web site at http://users.ccnet.com/~beisners/gsfs/lobby.html, or contact
> -Amy

Amy,
You knew I couldn't let this one go without some comment.  I am after all
theCommunications Director for the CDFA which is a nice way of saying
"Biggest Mouth in the Group".

You have every right to feel as you do and to try to sway the world to your
feelings, but as with the legalization battle, please listen to all of the
information.

We are not out to impress anyone.  We are here for EDUCATION and RESCUE
only.  WE are no longer involved as a group with the legalization effort.
(Although you did find many of board members at the hearing along with the
rest of you guys).

Without the CDFA and it's vast library of information the CFL and other
organizations nationwide would have to do it's own research into so many
areas I can't list them all here.  Information is the key to strategy and
strategy is the key in any battle.  We also have all of the old FURO
documentation on file.

Rescue, now when an animal is nailed by Fish and Game in CA, we are the only
permitted organization to remove the animals.  Sure, today, many
organizations in CA lay claim to rescue, HOWEVER, in reality they are
dealing with voluntary surrenders and NOT animals confiscated and forcibly
removed from their homes.  We are the organization that is contacted and in
many cases bring the legal system to bear on the animal control people
involved so that an animal is not put down.  We have recently written
extensive guidelines, complying with Fish and Games dictates as well as
creating standards that we feel are needed for this area.  Change takes
time, CDFA blew it.  And it will take time for everyone to regain their
confidence in us.  I will gladly send to anyone requesting it, a copy of our
new Rescue Guidelines.  We are taking additional measures to insure the
safety and care of all ferrets and many other restricted animals within the
state of California.  Jeanne Carley may have set up the AG rescue
procedures, however we are the ones who maintain it and improve on it
through time.

Yes Floyd, Jeanne, and the rest of the people who want and work for ferret
legalization in this state are doing a good job, but some people fail to
realize that without the preliminary work done by the CDFA over the years,
they would not be where they are today.  Much of the ground work for their
efforts was laid before they even came into being.

I don't want to get into an argument and will definately NOT get into a
flame war.  I read the FML now, only when it pertains to CA residents and
their issues and leave a wide path on all the flamming that goes on in it.
I get enough political garbage from Sacramento thank you and have no desire
to become involved in another boiling pot.  I will monitor the commentary
this issue is sure to cause and will respond if I or someone else thinks its
necessary, however I 'm not going to get into a who is right and who is
wrong debate.  I'll simply state the facts as I (representing the CDFA) see
them and allow everyone to make up their own minds.

Your concerns are genuine and have been addressed.  Anyone else with
concerns will be addressed as well.  I only ask that before making up their
minds, everyone get all the information and data (ummmmmmmmmmm isn't that
what we keep saying to Fish and Game, the assembly, the senate, and all of
those opposed to legalization) and look at it honestly.