From:
Tricia Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 23 Jun 1994 15:00:27 -0400
Chris,

I wouldn't worry about Scooter's "seriousness" and lack of "talking".  Is
he an only ferret?  My husband and I had Katie (our oldest) for almost a
year before getting her "little" brother Eric (he outweighs her 2 to 1 --
he was about 4.2 pounds last time we went into the vet), so she grew up
pretty much alone (i.e., without other ferret contact).  I've found that
she seems to make more noise now that she has a playmate than when she
was alone.  Of course, ferrets seem to make less and less noise as they
get older (I told my husband that I want to get another little one so I
could hear the chatter again).  Katie did have a pretty rough time at
first when Eric was brought into "her territory" (in fact, she even bit
my husband pretty hard in protest to bringing the "little stinker" into
the family).  But, she did get used to him.  I don't think her
domineering ways hurt Eric any; but she still kicks his butt on a regular
basis.  Since he usually comes back for more, I don't think it's bothered
him too much... :)  (At least you didn't try to blow dry him at a young
age...  Don't do that.  Just take my word on that one.)

By the way, love your sig!

--------------------
To Clinton:

I've read and been told that ferrets don't do well above about 85
degrees  Fahrenheit.  We try to keep our fuzzies between 70 and 75 degrees.

I don't know if Nashville had a big mosquito problem, but if you're going
to be exposing your fuzzy to the outdoors you may want to ask around
about heart worm preventatives.

--------------------
To Denise & Rocko:

I've never been an "outlaw", but I have had to hide my little Katie when
people have come to the apartment to check it out.  My husband (before we
were married) lived in a two-room apartment and (to get a discount on
rent) agreed to let the place be shown to potentials tennants.  Well, it
seems that the only time the place was shown was when only Katie and I
were home and playing (pets weren't allowed there).  One time
I ended up tossing her into a pile of dirty clothes in the closet until
the visitors were gone.  When I went back to get her, she just looked up
at me like "Why for did ya do that, mom??".

We now live in a 2 bedroom apartment (some animals are allowed), but we
keep them in their own room and lock the doorknob so that the maintenance
people can't let them out or harm them in any way.  That seems to work
pretty well.

Hope that helps.

Trish (mommy to Katie and Eric - my little "zuba bunnies"!!)