From:
Laura Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 03:51:51 -0400
Hello all!  I had a terrible scare tonight, Pharoh(my newly adopted ferret)
had a seizure while I was scruffing him.  I wanted to check out his ears to
see if they needed cleaning and everything was ok at first then he started
twitching.  At first I thought it was the regular I want down twitch, but
when I put him down he fell over and just layed there.  I checked to see if
he was breathing and it didn't look like he was (could have just been really
shallow) so of course I freak out.  I picked him up and patted him a few
times and blew in his face(he didn't even blink) and his breathing came
back(?) irratically.  He just layed in my arms drooling for about a minute
or so, then he started to come around.  I took him to the emergency pet
clinic on the other side of town and by the time we were seen by a vet he
was fine-running around, wanting to get into stuff.  (Just like a car huh?
You have a problem then when you go to get it fixed it doesn't seem to be
there any more)

Anyway, she said seizures are rare in ferrets(I don't know how knowledgeable
she was) and it could have been a one time deal, but since I've only had him
2 months it may be a regular occurance that the previous owner failed to
mention or didn't know about.  I'm taking him to his regular vet in the
morning to see what he says(he is very ferret knowledgable, does research on
ferret diseases-adrenal etc.  one of the best in and around San Antonio).

I really hate that feeling of helplessness.  I felt that way when Booger got
sick after eating a bug and was all drooly and lying around.  Usually I am
good in emergencies but I guess when it comes to my 'family' I'm not so
great.

Now my question, has anyone else dealt with seizures in there ferrets
before?  I think I might have seen a post about it some time ago but I'm not
sure.

Tavi is keeping him company in the new travel cage(since Jasper is a terror
to him) tonight and then he's coming to work with me in 2 hours-boy that'll
be plenty of sleep for tonight.

And on the good side he has gained almost a pound since I got him!

My best to all.

Laura and The Troublesome Trio + Pharoh the ill