From:
Jennifer B <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:35:52 -0700
Here's an interesting example of a "wolf in sheep's clothing" so pet
owners BEWARE!! Although I only have a dog right now and haven't had
ferrets in 3 yrs, I still volunteer at the local ferret shelters and
I'm sharing this info. for any ferret owners who might also have
canines as well or who might want to pass this information on to
fellow dog owners.

Recently I came across a coupon in my newspaper circular for dog food
that advertised itself as "healthy & wholesome" and "Crafted with pride
in Clinton Iowa, Crete Nebraska, and St. Joseph Missouri". Sounds like
a good company with midwestern values located and/or manufacturing
their product right in the good ol' U.S. of A, right? OK, I'm nibbling.

It was a full page ad that goes on to say, "At Canyon Creek Ranch, we
believe there's always a better way of doing things for the pets we
love. After all, they always do their best for us. It's their loyal
spirit that's (sic) inspired us to create a full line of pet foods
made with real, recognizable ingredients that we feel good about
giving and they feel great about eating. Canyon Creek Ranch, simply
a great-tasting natural pet food, guaranteed."

Hmmm. Interesting. I won't even go into the typos and grammatical
errors in that paragraph but I couldn't help wonder "How does the
company know dogs who eat this food feel great about it?" and "How do
they guarantee it's a 'great-tasting, natural pet food'?". I was really
starting to wonder who this company was and since the packaging isn't
one I've ever seen (and I do a LOT of research on my dog's food before
buying it for her), I decided to check it out on-line.

LOW & BEHOLD, when I went to the website's "Terms & Conditions" page
(http://www.canyoncreekranch.com/terms-and-conditions), I immediately
discovered that this is none other than WAGGIN TRAIN LLC - a wholly
owned subsidiary of - YEP - Nestle Purina PetCare Company!!! And this
is THE SAME COMPANY that has been recalling its Waggin' Train chicken
jerky treats (made in CHINA) after the NY State Department of
Agriculture found trace amounts of antibiotic residue in samples of
Waggin' Train and Canyon Creek Ranch chicken jerky products which have
been *reportedly* linked to numerous reports of pets getting ill and
dying after ingesting the treats. So even though the packaging and
claims make the dog food appear to be "healthy & wholesome" - DO NOT
BE FOOLED by this "wolf in sheep's clothing". This is likely just an
attempt to gain back the consumers the company has lost due to the
jerky treat issues. BE WISE CONSUMERS and DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!!

Jennifer & Sadie