From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:41:14 -0800
>From:    Judith White <[log in to unmask]
>Subject: Donations to the Cancelled Rescue
>While we were in Las Vegas, it appeared that an emergency rescue of about
>100 ferrets was going to be necessary.  Once again, the generosity of the
>ferret community made itself beautifully evident, and they raised $505
>towards the $1000 that would have been needed to test the ferrets for ADV
>before they could be placed.  Fortunately, it has turned out not to be
>necessary to go ahead with this rescue.

I am really confused!  What happened?  Lisa Leidig of Ferret Haven by the
Sea, was so angry and made a formal announcement at the symposium that
this shelter was closing the doors and had about 100 geriatric ferrets
kept in an "out-building".  It really sounded like a bad situation and
Lisa even said that she had visited this shelter and knew first-hand the
conditions of the ferrets.  Did the conditions change?  Are they still
being kept in an out-building and bad conditions?  Lisa also stated that
this same shelter person had turned all of her breeding stock over to
someone else, hence making it less possible to re-coup some of the costs
involved in this rescue.  I scratched my head on this, since I don't see
a connection and wondered if maybe this shelter operator had given her
breeding stock away to someone they felt helped them along the lines.  In
most rescues I have seen, nobody has cared whether or not they would get
the breeding stock as well, they have just been happy to get any and all
ferrets out of a bad situation.  Lisa asked people not to directly assist
this shelter person.

I guess I don't understand why so much "hoopla" went on, when it looks
like not all the facts were in yet.  I will not speak for who donated
what, and I am glad that SOS received donations, regardless of whether
this was a legitimate announcement at the symposium or not.

I would like to know, after all the emotion and information provided by
Lisa Leidig, what actually happened and what has changed.  I was very
upset by what Lisa reported, so I can only imagine the outpouring of
support that followed.  It certainly sounded like an urgent situation.
Carla Smith had mentioned to me that this shelter was trying to "dump"
these ferrets on Lisa's shelter while she was at the symposium and that
was why Lisa was so angry (rightfully so if that was the case).

It sure would be nice to know what actually happened since so many of us
were surprised by Lisa's announcement and somewhat upset by it.

Thanks.