From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 23:52:31 -0400
My vet here in Battle Creek MI will be leaving for NM in September.  She
does most of the ferrets here in BC.  Anyone know of a good vet in Kalamazoo
or hereabouts?  Detroit metro area is just too far.  I am always running to
the vet and need someone closer.  to Steve who was going to buy from a pet
store in SE Michigan.  I already deleted the FML with your address but there
are lots of decent breeders in the SE MI area.  E-Mail me and I'll get you
in touch.  Also Dr. Lawrenchuk of Westland Animal Hospital runs a shelter
out of her clinic.

I am thinking about a dog and/or cat but have free roam ferrets.  How do you
keep the animals from eating each others food?  Also am wondering if some
dog breeds are better than others.  I'm not necessarily interested in a pure
bred per se but rather just get a dog that needs a home, but what if it
doesn't work?  Are puppies better?  These are just a few of the many
questions I have buzzing around in my brain.

Also after reading Modern Ferret and FML one suggestion - you can staple gun
sheets to the bottom of couches, chairs, beds rather than use wood - much
simpler than wood and not as easily scratched through as that flimsy
upholstry stuff they come with.  One comment - I am starting to feel
"slammed" for having free roam ferrets.  Really, accidents can happen when
your not at home but a lot of accidents happen when there are people around.
Recliners, dishwashing machines (I read a post on aol where a ferret got
killed when he crawled in unbeknownst and died when they ran the machine, I
almost got sick what a horrible death), open doors etc.  are more of a
problem when your home..  Unless your ferret is only out when you are
actually following them around every minute in which case they probably are
in their cage too much since were all a little too busy for that.  I dont
want to get in a huge discussion but I have a relatively new house that was
easy to ferret proof and I think there as ok as free roam ferrets.  Ferrets
are a bit accident prone and I'm sure we all do our best with the resources
we have to work with.  Hope I didn't upset anybody by getting that off my
chest.

Miss Mary, Boris and Giesela