From:
Kim Vanderlaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:12:38 -0400
Hello,

>One should be verrrrrrry careful using dog flea products on other
>animals.  My mother put some of the dog version of an Advantage-esque
>product (don't remember which brand) on my cat.  He got very sick and
>had to be rushed to the vet, medicated, bathed and shaved.  The
>"money-saving" action cost me $500 and a lecture from the vet for using
>a product that specifically said, "not for use on cats".  I tried to
>tell him that it was my mom that did it, but for some reason, he didn't
>believe me.  Guess he's heard that one before!

The original person who was quoted is correct.  The Advantage flea
product is identical whether packaged as kitten or large dog or anything
in between.  The only differences are the quantity supplied in each tube
and the price.  The large dog size is definitely the best value for your
money.  One drop of "large dog" Advantage is exactly the same as one drop
of "kitten" Advantage.  I do the same thing.  I draw up (with a syringe)
the proper amount for each cat (based on weight) and each dog in my
household.  I use the same tube for the ferrets - one or two drops per
ferret depending on size.  I verified the ingredients and amounts and
confirmed it with a vet.

Please note that this is not necessarily the case with other flea
products.  Something that is "Advantage-esque" may very well not be the
same product when labeled for cats versus a dog label.  The person who
wrote this is also correct and for all flea products you plan to use on
any of your pets, you should definitely know what you are using, what it
does, and how it does it.

Kim

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.
-- Jorge Luis Borges