Date:
Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:31:21 -0400
Hi Everyone,

Trust all my U.S. friends are happily stuffed with Thanksgiving Day
turkeys.

I need some advice.

I am fortunate in that I will be adopting an Ohio rescue from the MaFF
shelter. By all accounts she is a sweet little girl. I am thrilled! I
will be flying to Logan on the 1st, picking up my new little baby and
transporting her back to Nova Scotia with me the following day.

She has been spayed but was not descented. I am all for not putting
any animal through unnecessary invasive procedures to satisfy human
preferences, whether its declawing a cat, bobbing a dog's tail or
ears - or descenting a ferret.

However, I am wondering what is the likelihood of her spraying in
crowded Logan airport and/or on the plane?

Unfortunately, the plane I will be boarding is the smallest in Delta's
fleet, so their requirement for the kennel is that it be a teeny one.
I will do my best to reduce her stress levels, which will be
considerable. For example, travelling with an unfamiliar person (me).
2 hour drive to airport, 2 hour wait at airport (check-in for
international flights), 2 hours on board the plane and another 45
minute clearance through Canada Customs. I have a cage set-up in the
back seat of my car with all the comforts of home. So once I have her
in the car she should be fine. The concern is the long trip in- between
in an unbelievably cramped kennel.

I will be sure to make water and food available for her, but there will
not be room for any kind of litter pan. Of course I can't put a water
bottle on the carrier while I clear security. Once in the air I can
ask the flight attendants for water.

Needless to say, she will be stressed! I am not familiar with the
behaviours of scented ferrets. From what I've read spraying is a fear
response. Can it also be a stress response?

My biggest worry is that she'll 'pouf' in the airport and then they
won't allow me to take her onto the plane.

Has anyone had any experience taking a scented ferret on an airplane
trip? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Tressie

Tressie A. Dutchyn, MA
ID PhD student, Dalhousie University

Research Associate
Atlantic Interdisciplinary Research Network for Social & Behavioral
Issues Hepatitis C & HIV/AIDS
Department of Community Health & Epidemiology
Faculty of Medicine
Dalhousie University