From:
Caitlyn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:22:01 -0400
Hi, Fysha,

For me the answer to your question is obvious.  You do what is best for
Tracy regardless of the cost.  She could live to be 10 and you want those
to be happy, healthy years.  Amputating a leg that can be saved and which
she can have 95% use of seems cruel to me.

My Pertwee, who turned five in July, has cost me $8,000 in vet bills,
medication, etc... and costs about $100 per month to maintain.  I am
looking at a substantial expense for him for dental work (he broke a
canine tooth) and removing a growth (tumor?) behind his ear.  In his life
he's had both adrenal glands out, lost a kidney to polycystic disease (a
rare, unilateral case), has chronic pancreatitis requiring specailly
medicated food, has had heliobacter, and various other minor problems.
To call him medically challenged would be an understatement.

Pertwee is still my most energetic, frenetic ferret.  Keith and I think
he's one of the most fun to have around because he does everything, even
give kisses, with incredibly energy and enthusiasm.  He loves to play and
loves us.  How could we not have done whatever he needed when he needed
it?  He's part of our family.

Our vet has worked out payments with us when bills have become
overwhelming.  If Tracy's surgery is just too expensive now you might
want to see if your vet can do the same.

Good luck to you and to Tracy.

All the best,
Caity and the non-stop nine