Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:55:34 -0800
Hi all!
I have been reading about the cages with tunnels on top and wanted to make
a suggestion to you.

If the cages you are talking about are the ones I am thinking of, beware,
those can come unscrewed and the fur can escape.  I am still trying to find
a scanner so I can send everyone a picture of the cage my hubby and I built.

My cage is 7' tall, 5' wide and each level is almost 21/2' tall.  There
are ramps that can be removed dividing each level (carpeted) and door
to the ramps to separate the levels if one gets ill.  The cage is lined
professionally with sheet vinyl for easy cleanup and we used smooth
galvanized 1x1 wire for all the sides and tops of each level (so I could
hang hammocks from).  The top level is the "play pen".  We staggered
carpeted shelves so that they could climb them to get to the tubes that are
hanging above.  They are the ferret freeway tubes (clear) reinforced by
duck tape on the parts where the zip ties pressure the tube.  The three
absolutely love these!  This cage was very expensive to build ($300)
because we used cedar framing and expensive wire plus each level can be
unbolted to be moved - so it could be three separate cages if needed.
The bottom has wheels for ease of cleaning underneath the cage.

Every ferret owner (or almost every one) who has seen my cage asks me if my
hubby will build them one.  He adamantly refuses - lots of hard work.  If I
could do this myself, I would start a business and donate some to shelters
but I am NOT a carpenter or skilled at this.

I encourage everyone to try and have a cage custom built for your needs
because I just have not found any commercially, mass-produced cages that
suit all of the ferret's needs and my needs.

If anyone out there has a scanner, and would be kind enough to post pics,
I will gladly snail mail you a picture of the cage.

Dooks to all~

Danielle