From:
Terri Beier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 1997 08:21:38 -0500
I also bought the harnesses from Warm Fuzzy Ferret Shelter.  They are
amazing!  I have to agree with Sheri that I thought that there would be more
products available at the expo, but I have to disagree with her statement
that there was no education going on there.  I saw many examples of ferret
education!  The two people from the Warm Fuzzy ferret shelter were showing
owners how to clip nails, clean ears, and clean litter boxes.  They were
also explaining what safe toys were.  I also heard the lady from Ferret
Madness giving great advice on what to feed ferrets and how to find a ferret
knowledgeable vet.  I must have heard her ask ferret owners what they were
feeding their ferrets at least 10 times.  I spent a lot of time at the Warm
Fuzzy and Ferret Madness tables because I bought a lot of stuff from them!
I also met a young girl who bought a ferret because she fell in love with
him at a pet store.  She admitted that she didn't know very much about them
when she bought him and she had problems with him at first.  Then she
contacted someone from the Minnesota Ferret Association (MFA) who gave her a
lot of good advice.  She also said that she was learning a lot at the expo.
I found the ferret owners very friendly.  Many owners caught me looking at
their ferrets and asked me if I wanted to touch one or hold one.  I got a
kick out of that because I have so many at home, but I heard many people
exclaiming, "I didn't know they were so friendly", "I didn't know they were
so soft", "I didn't know they could be trained", "They can respond to their
names?", etc.  The MFA and many other tables had excellent pamphlets on
ferret care and where to get more information.  There were also many books
available for purchase.

I finally learned that Rippey, one of my males, is a champagne mitt.  I was
looking at the color chart at the MFA table and asked if I could go behind
the table to take a closer look at it.  One of the workers asked me if I
wanted to see a champagne colored ferret to get a better idea.  That cleared
it up for me!

I had a lot of fun and saw a lot of education going on in the short period
of time that I was there.  Good work to everyone involved in it!

Terri
Gus, Fester, Rippey, Kirby, Oliver, and Maggie