From:
"Aileen N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 07:10:07 -0800
This is semi-related, hopefully BIG will let it through.  :-)

With all of the talk about ferrets and rabies and shedding periods, etc.,
I was hoping someone might know about skunks and rabies.

I receive Petwarmers, a really nice twice-weekly e-mail of an inspiring
animal story (no ferret stories yet).  In the most recent one, the author
wrote about skunks.  Another person replied in the "mailbag" that people
should be careful around skunks because they can shed the rabies virus for
up to a year before exhibiting symptoms and rabies vaccines will not work
on skunks.

Does anyone know if this is true?  I can't imagine that a virus so
quick-acting in ferrets can linger for such a long time in their
supposedly-close (depends on who you ask) relatives.

Thanks!

=====
Aileen & the Herd minus one Herdling
Slinky, Kyle, Noel, Sandy, & Rootie the beagle
Missing Gizmo so much. We love you, baby.

*$*$* Want an easier way to pay for auctions or receive pay from auction
winners?  Want to earn $10 for nothing? Click on this link (or cut and paste)
to sign up and see for yourself:
https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=anippy%40yahoo.com