From:
"Russ S. Hazzon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 1994 04:29:02 -0500
To David Childress:

#1      Make sure you are using a KITTEN food.  It is higher in proteins and
fats, both of which are necessary for a healthy ferret.  As for her stool
being soft - it may just be a result of being brought into a new
surrounding.  Give it a week or so and see if it changes.

#2      Your ferret may be bathed at an early age.  Just make sure the water
is very warm.  Ferrets normal body temperature is around 102 degrees or so
and tepid water will actually be very chilly to them.  Use a shampoo made
for ferrets.  It will help control the musky odor, while keeping their eyes
from burning.  Also make sure she is quickly and thoroughly dried after the
bath to prevent any possible colds.

#3      For bedding I would recommend a few old sweatshirts.  They seem to
love burrowing into these and they also find them comfortable.  Try a
sweatshirt that you've recently worn.  Ferrets seem to like anything that
smells like their owner.
Playtoys aren't all that difficult to find.  Look for objects that cannot be
swallowed or chewed apart.  Stay away from any foam and/or rubber products.
Rubber products are the biggest cause of intestinal blockages.

#4      Biting gets a little easier as they get older.  Remember that
ferrets tend to bite each other harder than we would like to be bitten.
Their skin is very loose compared to ours and in turn does not hurt as much
when they are bitten.  If *YOU* feel that she is biting too hard then take
action.  You can try snapping her nose with your finger and shouting "NO" or
"BAD" at the same time.

If you want more information I would suggest downloading the Ferret FAQ.  it
is put together by Pam Greene and is a fantastic source of information.  If
you can't find it on AOL, let someone here know and one of us will be sure
to get a copy to you.

Good luck with your new addition.  I think you'll soon find out that ferrets
make one of the best friends you'll ever know!
---------

Regards... Russ Hazzon