From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 08:56:59 -0400
Condolences to those with missing or angeled 'puter ferts.

Animal Lover <[log in to unmask]> said:
>Got me thinking the other day, do our fuzzies miss us when we are not home
>with them, when we go to work, to the store, do they long for us to return
>to them??...etc. <snip>

Well, I can't speak for everyone else, but I *can* speak for my fur-brats.
First, let me inform you that *my* ferrets seems to miss me in particular,
even when someone else spends a good deal of time with them while I'm away.
 I was gone for over a week and my daughter (who lives in the house with
them and I) took care of them exclusively.  Yet, when I walked in the door,
they *all* ran for the door, no matter what they had been doing, or where
they had been.  When visitors come over, they may wander over to see who
the new shoes belong to, but when I enter the room, it becomes a mad rush.

I think that they are quite good at distinguishing different people.
Remember, one of their primary (and most used) senses is that of smell.
Everyone and everything has a special and unique scent.  I'd be willing to
bet one (slightly used) Bob Church (complete with his own set of fuzzies!)
that the typical ferret can not only distinguish between different people,
but can file these scents away and use them to recognize someone who's been
away for a time.

Now, as for missing us while we are gone...well, that would depend a great
deal on how much time we spend with them, how attached they are to us, what
other distractions they have while we are gone, what their primary
motivation is (as far as we are concerned--i.e., do we always give them a
snack when we come home, or during a particular time of day?  Do we come
home and play with them right away?  Does our arrival signal that it's time
to get out of the cage and play?).  If they are free-roam ferrets and there
are a number of them, then our impact might not be so heavily felt when we
are gone.  If one of the special events happen (such as those listed, or
others) with our arrival, then I would imagine that they (like children and
close friends, etc.) would most certainly await our return with baited
(eeewwww!) breath! :)

Conclusions?  I believe that our ferrets can distinguish individuals, but
in different ways than we do.  I also believe that they can miss us if we
are gone, if we are an integral part of their life.  I also believe that
they can feel if we care for them (or even love them), as opposed to
someone walking by who stops and admires them through the front door.  I
know they have very good memories (as a general rule), so I feel that they
can use this memory to retain information about those around them, just as
we do.

Todd and the (Keep it short, ya nut!) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
Help a Shelter!
http://GiftsAndCollectibles.sites.cc/
http://users.success.net/toddl/page2/