Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 00:11:18 +1200
Just a note about Kat Parsons post in the (second) FML from yesterday.

The FML is here for people to voice their opinions, and in my *own*
opinion, Kat's post which I guess some people got provoked by was nothing
but her wish to express her love for her own ferret, and others like it,
which originate from Marshall Farms - and an explanation that many people
would never have owned ferrets if not for Marshall Farms or their ilk.
Personally, I feel that Kat should be applauded for being brave enough to
send her response in to what seems to be, at times, a pack of wolves that
haven't eaten a decent meal in weeks.

A majority of people in this world haven't the faintest *clue* what a
ferret is, and it's true that for many their first experience with a ferret
is seeing one in a pet store.  Marshall Farms does many things which I, and
many others, do not agree with - however, they *do* breed wonderful, placid
pets.  These ferrets may be available from a young age, they may be desexed
and descented early.  These ferrets may not be given individual attention,
and their parents very likely are killed when they're no longer "good for
breeding"

For those who have ferrets already and know better, it's a BRILLIANT
idea to find other sources for friends for current ferrets.  My personal
preference is for people to approach shelters, then private local breeders,
then private breeders who may be out of the area.  Where possible I'll give
on contact details for shelters for those interested in getting ferrets,
since I firmly believe that first time ferret owners should get an adult
rather than a tiny attention- seeking trouble-making bundle of nippy fluff
kit.  However, very few people out there realise that ferrets exist - as
far as they're concerned, they're rats with fluffy tails.  For those that
do have a faint inkling that ferrets exist, the first place they try isn't
a shelter but a pet store.  The idea of ferrets and shelters are so foreign
that they don't even think to look for one.  So, a first time ferret owner
will look at the ferret kits in the store, go by what the store people tell
them, and unfortunately many won't go past that point.  Some will get
involved in ferret shows, see ferret-related goings-on etc because their
attention is caught now that they have that interest.  *Then* they will
find out about shelters and private breeders.  However, without that
initial pet store ferret, they'd never have had that interest, never have
seen that ferrets could be good pets, and never have attended something
where ferret shelters are shown and publicized.

By all means, boycott Marshall Farms, Path Valley, Hagen, Triple F Farms,
Peterson and the other ferret farms, but realise that without having them
available, those shelters would never be known by those people, and ferrets
would never become truly popular (and therefore more well known) as a pet.

This is all, naturally, my own opinion, but it's still a point to ponder.
Not everything is all good, nor are some things all bad.  There is a lot
of good and bad - even in places like Marshall Farms.

Sam
-------

For those ferrets and owners that need our help...
visit Ferrets In Need! at
http://www.ferretfans.net/