From:
FerretMom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 19:42:21 -0700
>well, the last time i checked it was still listed as an ingredient in the
>Iams Senior that my lovely great lump of a cat eats, but i just checked
>and it isn't now.  it says "chicken fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols
>and citric acid)" though.  is ethoxyquin a tocopherol?  or have they
>changed the ingredients?  anyone?

Siani,

Ethoxyquin is definitely *not* a tocopherol.

From the FDA web page: "Especially for high-fat dry products, some form
of preservative must be used to prevent rancidity.  Natural-source
preservatives, such as mixed tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), can be
used in place of artificial preservatives.  However, they are not as
effective."

However, just because the label doesn't list ethoxyquin doesn't mean the
product absolutely does not have ethoxyquin.  Manufacturers are not
required to list a product on the ingredient list if the substance is
added prior to final processing.  In pet foods, the product that needs to
be preserved is the animal fat.  So if the company that sells the animal
fat adds ethoxyquin to the fat, it does not have to be listed on the label.
In other words, if Iams (Hills, Performance Foods, etc) buys the fat with
ethoxyquin already added, it does not have to be listed on the label.
(This is not to imply that ethoxyquin *is* in these products.)

Also, the FDA web site has information about ethoxyquin and 2 great
articles about interpreting pet food labels.  http://www.fda.gov and
search for "ethoxyquin".  The FDA states: "To date [11/2/89], FDA has
found no scientific or medical evidence that ethoxyquin used at approved
levels [150ppm] is injurious to human or animal health.  Also, FDA has
found no documentation of the claims of harm to any animal."

FYI.  Paprika and chili powder are allowed to have ethoxyquin to preserve
the color.  If you want more information about ethoxyquin and healthier
choices, I'd suggest "Natural Healing for Dogs and Cats" by Diane Stein.
Excellent book!  BTW, I avoid ethoxyquin and BHA/BHT whenever possible.

    -Carla