From:
Shari Diane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 1995 11:52:42 -0400
A few notes I want to say/ask from the 9/25 posters:

1.  I now have directly spoken with my vet, (Dr.  Dan Hudson, Cary, North
Carolina - 1 of only 2 referred for the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill by Dr.
Hardy @ NCSU Vet School) regarding what he uses for ferret distemper vac.  -
Poly-something by Ft.  Dodge.  Quite _guarded_ about using it ("over the
years never any problems, wants to stay with proven product, etc.").  My
adopted 22 mo fem Gina had her first time ever distemper shot last week with
no side effects.  My 1 yr fem Chipper needs her shot in December.  So what
are the thoughts by the FMLer's Vets?  Request he use Fervac or Galaxy?

2.  My adopted 1 yr fem Chipper doesn't seem to smell with her nose.  We got
her from co-workers at 7 mo of age - so don't know how she was treated
(except great fear of children/loud noises - they had a rambunctious 12-18
mo boy).  To the point - I treat the girls every morning, on the way out the
door so I don't have to look at their imploring eyes "I want to go outside
with you tooooo!", with a ferret chicken flavor treat.  If I put the food on
the floor beneath her nose, she can't find it.  So I hold the treat in my
palm and 'bump' her mouth with it.  Did the previous owners nose- hit/tap
her too much for negative behavior to cause this?  (Gina has *no* problem
finding the treat.)

3.  Gina the 22 mo fem - Previous owner told us upon adoption she had a flea
infestation when she was younger (no date) and the medication given by her
vet caused the poor coat quality she now has - dry, short, somewhat thinner
in areas.  My vet - Dr.  Hudson - agreed.  To the FMLer Vets - what
medication was this?  Will her hair cycle out and come back soft and full?

4.  To I.  Hurwitz - Very sorry for your loss of Max.  Tears fill my eyes
when I hear these accounts of death, sickness, or lost fuzzies.  I don't
think any ferret owner cannot be reminded enough of how smart, clever,
sneaky, etc.  they are.  For example (luckily without any negative results):
A few evenings ago, within a minute I grabbed some old photo pictures out of
a rarely (hint) used guest bedroom closet.  Around noon-ish the next day, I
asked the SO if he had seen her, b/c I had not found any of her litter box
messes (Chipper goes someplace different).  Told me to 'quit worrying (as
usual), leave her alone, and let's go out to brunch.' Well, I didn't give up
my search.  I turned our 2bd/2bth apt upside down.  Last but not least
looked in the guest bedroom closet - there she was sleeping on top of 3
unpacked moving boxes.  She had been in there for over 11 hours.  I took her
to her food and water bowl thinking she would be dehydrated and hungry.  I
still feel guilt, and am obviously still scolding myself.  My ferrets won't
wear a collar - wish I could stitch a bell on their tail!  Other mishaps
another time.

5.  Gary H.  - RE: your 9/25 post - Marry me!  You have a big heart and
caring soul.  Any ferret in your care is very lucky.

Regards,
Shari  - Where are The Girls? (look down!)
SO - Where are my toys? (look in the sofa.)
Chipper - Leave me alone!  (hehe -I've moved to the hall closet.)
Gina - Let's follow Mommy around everywhere phase...