From:
Carrie Leo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:13:49 -0400
Hi All,

This is an unusual topic concerning members of the weasel family,
specifically mink and the sable.

I am a cosmetology student and am currently learning about nail
technology.  I was very disappointed (although unsurprised) to hear that
natural hair brushes are still being used in the industry.  Specifically,
sable and mink hair is promoted as being the best material to use on nail
art and artificial nail application.  Also, natural hair is used on makeup
brushes in order to apply everything from eye shadow to face powder.

I am very disappointed in my industry in that it would seem in this day
and age and with an increased concern over animal testing for cosmetics
and killing of mink and others for things like fur coats, etc. that there
hasn't been an artificial substitute for makeup and nail brushes.

My question to you all is whether or not you have heard or have any ideas
as to any attempts in the cosmetology industry to use synthetic hair that
is a high quality and just as good as natural hair for cosmetic brushes.
I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the topic, especially if
you have a cosmetology background or have worked in the industry in some
facet.

I am very disturbed over this topic as I am strongly encouraged to
purchase natural hair brushes for my work and i feel very uncomfortable
(not to mention a tad hypocritical as an animal welfare believer and
ferret lover) to purchase hair that has been taken off animals whom have
been raised and/or killed specifically for such a trivial reason as to
make some humans look a little better.

Any thoughts?

Sunny