Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 1995 21:43:35 -0800
hi debi.

my name is linda, and i've subscribed to the fml for about 7 or 8 months
now.  i must confess that, when your posting appeared, i started reading it
and, when i realized that it concerned the abuse of animals, i stopped
reading.  i simply cannot tolerate abuse of animals or children or any other
innocent, defenseless creatures.  i figured that there was nothing that i
could do to remedy your situation, and i couldn't handle reading about it.

but i've been reading all the caring, concerned responses to your message,
and i realize that i've got to pull my head out of the sand.  as much as it
makes me cry to hear of anyone abusing God's innocent little creatures, if i
don't respond however i can, and try to make things better, then i'm no
better than the abusers.  it's way too easy to look the other way and
pretend that this stuff doesn't happen.  it happens.  and it tears me apart.
so that's why i'm responding to your plea for help.

what your boyfriend is doing is horrible.  and, know what?  it's not so
difficult to be strong and stand up for these sweet animals.  or to stand up
for yourself.  i'm a shy person who will go out of my way to keep things
level, even, not rock the boat, not stir up the waters.  but i've amazed
myself by intervening when i see cruelty.

i remember sitting at my desk at work one day.  i had a window looking out
over a street heavily populated by pedestrians.  i saw a young-ish man
walking with a tiny little kid, maybe two years old, and this little kid was
toddling along on his cute little rubbery legs, you know, like little kids
do, and this guy was bent over, yelling into this little kid's face and
hitting him on his head, smacking him hard right on his head, and dragging
the little kid by his arm.  it was abuse, no doubt about it.  i completely
surprised myself when i threw open that window and yelled at that man that
he'd better lay off that child or i would call the police.  he stopped.  but
what killed me was that i knew that as soon as they turned the corner and
were out of my sight, this asshole (sorry...don't know what else to call
him) would be all over this kid again.

anyway, what i'm trying to say is that, no matter how shy or complacent
you are, you can find it in yourself to fight like hell any abuse of
god's little weaker creatures. i have no choice. i must fight for these
little beings. and i think you can fight, too.

debi, i don't know your situation. but i know that you cared enough to
ask us for help. that shows me that you are a compassionate and caring
person. so my advice is to do whatever you have to do to save logan.
and save yourself. you sound like a really sweet, intelligent lady. do
what you know you need to do.

and please let us know what happens, ok? we're supporting you 100%.

linda