From:
James Stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 11:35:32 +1000
Dear All,

Hope all fuzzies are in fine form and doing well, dooks to all!

Just a quick note, your Sabrina's reaction to a squeaky toy is shared by
one of my ferrets as well.  We have 3 fuzzies and the alpha one is a
female, the other two males (affectionately referred to as the beta and
zeta ferrets!)

To get to the point, the female Penny displays much the same behaviour
sometimes.  Other times, she will try and drag the youngest of our fuzzies
of under the nearest lounge or bed.

So, here is my pet theory, the fuzzies are equating this noise with a
distressed ferret and it brings out their protective instincts.  Eerily
enough, both your ferret and ours (Penny) have been adopted after not
starting out in the best of circumstances.  Our Penny was abused by her
previous owner and neglected, she took nearly a whole year before she
really trusted humans!!!

I think these fuzzies are just a little more protective of others
(percieved as other anyway) and try and shield who ever is being hurt.
You may be able to understand the logic here if you have ever heard a
ferret squeal in pain, that is the noise I equate when I hear squeaky toys
most of the time.  It is a noise I myself have never liked!

There is one consolation to all this.  We keep one squeaky toy though, it
is the one sure fire call to get the kids in an emergency.  You squeak
that, and within moments you have three fuzzies (slightly agitated but
there).  So it is saved for emergencies only.

Hope that gives you the answer, any other opinions are most welcome!

Dooks,

James and Di, (the Humans)
Penny the Princess (I am the boss and don't you forget it!)
Tuppence the Dull (Affectionately know as the Zeta ferret)
Farley the Toothsome Terror (Our youngest, most energetic Beta ferret!)