Date:
Sat, 28 Aug 1999 10:01:58 -0400
I am finally jumping into the pit on the Modern Ferret - Issue 24 topic!
I might expressly state the following OPINIONS are my OWN and not any
affiliated organizations!

I believe we MUST have more than one text or source to read and study from
in order to make clear and sound judgements and decisions.  While I clearly
understand the feelings expressed over some of the photographic displays
(working in a shelter environment imparts a sadder, more somber outlook
on things) I can also see that ferret friends can do themselves *far more
harm* by extinguishing a source which is kind in many other ways to the
ferret community.  Both Mary & Eric saw the need for an educational source
far before Fancy did.  They have strived to put forth factual information
for years.  Whiel ksome animal activists have jumped in the fire on several
occassions these same folks do not make an effort to educate beyond their
own small circle.  They start the fire and jump outr to scream about it.
Just think what your actions will do when there is only one source for
readers.  If you went to school and everyone had only one text.  Like if
there were only one vet, and no one would know about new things... Let us
not resort into the dark ages folks.

Yes, by campaigning to put Modern Ferret out of business you are
essentially cutting off your nose to spite your face.  This is a perplexing
matter for some a devastating one for a publiocation -- We should try to
encourage a different thought process in this matter.... I am sure most of
us could not pick up and start publishing where Eric and Mary leave off....
and what if there were only one source for information?  Would we all see
things in the same light?  I sincerely doubt it.  The photos remind me on
the expose in the 70's or 80's with a male magazine which did the same
thing with a woman's body placed it over a grinder--- I bet more of the old
folks here can remember-- I certianly can the feminist movement went to
town.  But what movement is this going allout-- the same one which was
fostered in part by Mary & Eric , Modern Ferret.  Instead of mailing back
your copy-- you set a fire to extinguish-- well, I am still buying copies,
though I query the humor, because there is educational merit in the
magazine-- aside from the hype.  NOt I cannot say I was struck by the
humor--- but I for one still have an open mind.  I look at this as a
challenge to learn and grow from.... all of us should.

Those folks buying a ferret next week, next month, next year -- may not
ever know of issue 24 and the turmoil which is raised-- but should they
not have a valuable resource?  I surely hope not.  why do folks not put
this much effort into a campaign to save ferrets, to educate owners, to
shut down exploiters?  Beats me!

Alicia
a friend of ferrets, and longtime subscriber to Modren Ferret Magazine