From:
Skyla Fay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 1999 13:06:42 -0500
First I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my query about meds.
While I should note that no-one actually answered the question directly, I
really appreciate the variety of comments received, and I'm saving all the
mail for future reference. :-)

Something else has been bugging me and I decided I needed to post about it.
A fwe days ago, in response to Lisette's concerns about shelterers becoming
burned out, Bill Killian commented that eliciting such concern can be a
fundraising tactic.  I'd like to make very clear here, before a flame war
starts, that I agree: it's true, you can get people to give if you provoke
their pity.  It's manipulative, but it works.

However, I believe the shelterer in question wasn't making dire warnings
about imminent closing due to lack of funds, but was simply venting her own
exhaustion and frustration.  Nobody goes into sheltering for profit, but to
try to make a difference, and it must become extremely disheartening to
face a rising tide that never ends.

Shelterers do something I'm afraid to do: they deal on a daily basis with
the ugly way human beings treat other creatures, they see the results of
neglect, abuse, and just plain callousness.  I want to help these animals I
care so much about, but I think that seeing what shelterers see all the
time would turn me against humans!

So I support them with donations when I can, but when I can't, they
still need to know that their efforts are valued and appreciated by
the rest of us.

So, for the record, to ALL the shelterers on the list who are feeling
burned out, tired, or like their work isn't making a difference: I want to
thank you for doing what I'm not doing.  You ARE making a difference and
what you do MATTERS!

--Skyla