From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 2005 13:29:07 -0500
Some info from APHIS sites:

NOTE:

> Non-Significant vs Significant Clearance
>
> Typical Time Required for Rulemaking
>
> Not significant: 1 year or more
> Significant:   2-3 years or more
> Note:  Almost all of Animal Care's Rules are designated as significant

I do not know how many or which of the questions posed in the petition
already have some APHIS ground-work on them about 2 years ago when the
petition was first advanced (and notice that extensive work was done to
set the stage for that by Dr. Sandra Kudrak even before a petition could
be sent in), or if we now see what occurs in 2 or more years.  We knew
going into this that these things take time, but also that if nothing
was done then we'd all be stuck with the same frustrating problems years
out.  Heck, getting good enough protection for ferrets who bite people
(same level as for cats and dogs) took ten years of core work from first
vaccine testing, then approval of the vaccine, then helping fund
independent studies into possible transmission risks and the length of
time various rabies strains survive in ferrets, then making the states
aware when the Compendium was changed (because some didn't even know),
and SINCE THEN (beyond the ten core years) FML members and others
providing the local education which continues even now.)  Many of the
best things take a lot of time as well as hard work...

HERE IS THE OLDER ISSUES AND UPDATES PAGE:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/acnews.html

APHIS Animal Care homepage
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/

How rule making occurs:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/rulemaking.pdf

Where to link to sites that will tell you who is a farm, dealer, etc. on
the APHIS list.  Note that if a place sells to the RETAIL market it had
better be on here.  This is one way to go after animal abusers, actually.
(I do NOT know how up to date their public lists are.):

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/publications.html#lists

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan