From:
Kathleen Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2006 10:20:39 -0700
Wolfy Asked...
- how many of you, had no close pets as children, but later in life
became animal and ferret people?
- how many of you, had a couple of standard pets such as dogs or cats
as children?
- how many of you had close contact with more unusual species of
animals as children?

I was adopted, as an infant, into a Family who lived in the city and
could not have any pets besides a cat and a dog.  Half of my adoptive
family were huge animal lovers.  The other half of my family,
neutral-hated animals.

I grew up with an unending need to discover and be around all types of
animals.  I bought a baby duck and goose at a pet store, brought it home
and hid it in my room for three days before my parents found it.  Poop
everywhere, but they were my babies.  My dad convinced my mom to let us
keep it and we made a pond for them in the back yard.

The snakes and lizards didn't go over as easily.  My grandma would not
enter the house unless I took them into the garage.  Every time they
managed to escape they would hide under something in my brothers room.
I would be watching TV and all of a sudden I would hear a screaming 17
year old running out the door.  I always knew the what was up next.  I
had to catch the snake and face my mom and brother.

My parents were always disagreeing.  My mother would say my father was
indulging me.  My father would say its something that makes her happy
why not.

My Father, who loved animals, supported me in every way possible.  He
introduced me to a coworker who had horses and a daughter my age.  She
also had a ferret named Georgie.  Meeting that ferret was amazing! and I
knew then and there that I would get a ferret some day.  I was 8 years
old at the time.  It took me until I was in my 20's to get a ferret but
Georgie never left my heart.

I worked with animals most of my young adult life.  As a veterinary tech.
I worked with exotic animals kept for wealthy peoples fancy.  Keeping
them healthy and safe.  I worked at Program called Ahead with Horses.
It teaches disabled and mentally challenged kids how to ride horses.  I
had to have some involvement with animals throughout my life.

I always wondered why I was so drawn to animals.  It was like it was a
part of my soul.  Then I discovered why.

I found my biological family.  They are all artists like me with a huge
respect for nature and animals.  My BioGrandma, BioMom and BioSister
love animals.  It was amazing!  My love for animals was both nature
and nurture.  My Father nurtured my love for animals and my Biological
Family gave me the nature side of it.

Kathleen