From:
Marcy Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 1995 09:54:33 -0500
Abercrombie and Fitch seem to have an unusual fondness for soap, although
not for bathing, but for eating!  Fitch used to steal bars of soap from the
shower and store them in his hiding place before I learned to keep them on
a higher shelf.  This morning, while I was getting ready for work,
Abercrombie climbed up on the bathroom sink (via a turned-over trashcan and
the toilet) and began licking a bar of lotus-scented glycerine soap.
Although he had fresh-smelling breath afterward, I began to wonder whether
this was good for him.

I use all-natural soap, so I don't think that there are any really nasty
ingredients in it that could harm them.  I suppose all it might do is act
as a mild laxative.  A friend in the department here studies squirrels, and
thinks that my ferrets are just doing what her animals do in the
winter--going after "foods" that have a lot of fat in them.  Abercrombie
has been putting on a lot of fat lately, so perhaps he's just responding to
the weather and choosing foods accordingly.  Are my guys the only
soap-stealers?  Should I be concerned and start keeping my soap under lock
and key, or should I just wish them "Bon appetit"?

Thanks,

Marcy (still in a cast, and getting tired of it)

Abercrombie and Fitch (foaming at the mouths, but with fresh breath!)