From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 01:11:01 -0600
At Especially Ferrets Inc., we have a program for biting ferrets.  Most of
the biting ferrets that come in have been just neglected and some have been
abused.  By neglected, we mean left in cages and not allowed out to play,
and also no educational time is spent with them to teach them any manners.
Secondly, by abuse, we mean, hit, kicked, flicked on the nose, bitten, or
harassed by bigger animals, or worse.  We had a ferret in here two yrs ago,
whom we named Trooper, because some jerk held him up by his scruff and took
a blowtorch to him.  He was severely burnt from his armpits down.  The vet
said he wouldn't make it but he did.  We used an awful lot of silvadene
creme, ketaprofen, torb and antibiotics on him, and after it was all over,
we named him trooper.  People can be cruel.  Anyway, our program for biters
is called the Two Glove Program.  All allegded biters must go thru the
program.  Any volunteers caught not using the program on specific ferrets
are not only setting a bad example for those around them, but set the
ferret back to day one.  If one would keep in mind that ferrets react well
to the same kind of treatment you would give to your two legged kids.
(I never condone capital punishment).  First we start out with two very
leathery and padded gloves.  they don't have to be too bulky.  We have
someone, preferably different people throughout the day, handle them with
two gloves.  The idea is too be as touchy and feely as we can be, every
time they bite the gloves, we show no reaction, all the while reassuring
the ferret in a soft voice that it's ok..  As we get close to their face
without getting bit, we reward them with a little ferretone.  We take them
out of the cage with the gloves and put them back in with gloves.  At no
time do the gloves come off while handling a ferret until a senoir staff at
the shelter oks it.  Stage one could last a few days or months.  Stage two,
We take one glove off and hold the ferret with the gloved hand.  Paying
close attn, we start to touch the ferret, with the bare hand.  Start away
from the face, and continue with the ferretone for a reward.  After days of
no biting, take off both gloves.  If at any time during any stage of two or
three, a ferret bites a handler, we start back at stage one.  Ferrets bite
because they want a reaction from you, they want to be left alone, they
aren't going to take it anymore, or you smell like food and they don't know
any better yet.  Keep all of this in mind when dealing with your fuzzies
and they will learn quick.  They are smart( I saw one play a piano) and
will learn fast if you make it fun for them.

Hugs to all, Ferretguy