From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 19:59:29 -0500
Here are the two letters I got tonight:
>I already answered you the best I can. I, nor anyone at AVAR that I know
>of, took the time to question whether Marshall Farms in fact did submit an
>application to expand in France. We would not question PETA on this. Again,
>we were invited to France to attend a meeting with French officials
>regarding the Marshall Farms expansion. It seems to me that you need to
>contact PETA and ask them for verification.

and

>Here is one of the addresses to which we wrote:
>
>Monsieur Philippe Gregoire
>Prefecture de l'Allier
>2 rue Michel de l'Hospital
>03000 Moulins
>France
>
>Who have you asked at PETA to verify the application?

It strikes me as a bit naive that she keeps asking that this be checked
through PETA when what is being sought is INDEPENDENT confirmation FIRST.
I have explained that I will contact them later.

Not being French and not speaking French could I, please, impose upon some
French members to also write to this gentleman, and to confirm that this
is indeed a government office since I know of no way to do that from here?
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!  Meanwhile, I will also send a request for the
information being sought: whether in fact Marshall Farms actually applied
to have a facility in France.  We know the final outcome in terms of
response to public opinion, but what is of interest ARE: 1. if they did
actually make such an application and 2. if they pursued the idea.  If
they did not then that eliminates one concern, while if they did then they
might still consider multi-national expansion elsewhere.